Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Gloves – Anyone use them?

Sticky Gloves – Anyone use them?

I am gradually loosing feeling/tactile touch in my hands. It’s hard to explain but basically it feels like I have a thin film of oil on my fingertips. Pushing sheet stock through on the TS is becoming uncomfortable. I would like to find some thin, comfortable, but durable sticky gloves. I was looking at the gloves that football players wear but would like other options.

Suggestions?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't think its a good idea to wear any kind of gloves when operating anywhere near the business end of moving machinery, from a safety perspective.

You'd be better off seeking the cause of your loss of feeling. Carpal tunnel syndrome is one common cause but there are many others.

I got a dozen PUG 17L gloves from Amazon. I wear them nearly all the time when handling rough lumber and sheet goods, including running rough stock through the table saw. (I generally don't use them when running the jointer or planer.) They are light, grippy and inexpensive enough to be considered disposable.

I would use one of the many plastic types and keep a bag of base ball rosin handy for added grip. I won't use leather gloves except for rough rips on heavy material. Certainly hope you can find something cheap and Safe.

I use these at work and really like them. They fit snuggly so you have great feel and the rubberized fingers and palm give you great grip. This isn't a great price but illustrate them well. Normally I would agree that in general gloves are not a good idea around rotating equipment. I don't feel these have the traits that normally make gloves a bad idea. If you get close enough that these put you at risk your going to draw blood anyway. They fit much like regular nitrile gloves.
    https://www.constructiongear.com/fle...hoCEU4QAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I don't think its a good idea to wear any kind of gloves when operating anywhere near the business end of moving machinery, from a safety perspective.

You'd be better off seeking the cause of your loss of feeling. Carpal tunnel syndrome is one common cause but there are many others.
    Paul, ordinarily I would agree with you. I have worked with industrial machinery most of my adult life and never thought wearing gloves was a good idea. However, yesterday I was cutting some large pieces of hardboard on the TS and I didn’t feel like I had good control pushing the hardboard through the blade with the palm of my hand. I have seen doctors about the numbness. I have zero feeling in my feet going up to my lower calf. You could stick me with a knife and I wouldn’t feel a thing. The cause is neurological, likely caused by some heavy metals that I worked with years ago. There is nothing that can be done to alleviate it.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

These work well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're grippier than my skin, which is very dry.

Bruce

Look at the MaxiCut Ultra DT. Model 44-3445. We use them at work, even the machinist use them for some work. When they get dusty, the little "grippies" can slip a bit, but a wipe with alcohol and they're just as sticky as new.
    Sorry to hear about your hands. I know you've worked with your hands your whole life. I hope you find a lasting solution.

BTW
    I use them a lot.
    They're close fittings, so I don't worry as much about them getting caught up in a machine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have used these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-M...-030/202709678 for years now. Good grip, tight fit and thin enough to allow for good dexterity.I wear them when using my table saw, band saw, and router table with no safety concerns all. I only have one hand so I am pretty partial to is so safety is supreme.

Jack

One of the dangers of neuropathy is that ability to sense pain is diminished; sufferers may not notice injuries. Wearing gloves in such circumstances might be doubly dangerous.

An alternative is to seek out alternative methods of work. Many people use track saws to break down sheet goods; these do not pose nearly the dangers that table saws do. Or you might consider a small power feeder to keep your hands safely out of harm's way.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

James, I consider the gloves a safety enhancement, not a risk. I don’t cut sheet stock often, especially slick hardboard sheets like I was cutting yesterday. In cutting them, my hands are always several inches from the blade. I just need more tactile grip when pushing stock against the fence and through the blade. 99+% of my TS work is with miter gage, push blocks, push sticks and sleds.

As to peripheral neuropathy, it is something I have been dealing with for almost 20 years. It just started progressing to my hands three years ago, as the neurologist said it would.

Thanks all for the great info and links. I will read up and buy a few different types. I might stop by a sporting goods store and check out the NFL gloves. At 68 (next Friday) I might even get a good laugh from the clerk..

Andy Rooney

I use mechanics gloves from many different places. They are relatively low cost and readily available. I do not use them all the time but there are times, such as you described, that I do not feel like I am in control of the wood. However, in those cases I slow down and make sure the process is as safe as possible.

Bruce, like you I have peripheral neuropathy that has migrated into my hands. Sucks, doesn't it? Besides the loss of sensitivity, my hands feel cold most of the time so whenever the temperature is below 65 I wear gloves. I have been using these P-grip gloves https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Ultra...=p-grip+gloves for a while. They give a slightly increased grip and they fit snugly. I don't like wearing gloves in the shop, but these seem relatively safe and are quite affordable. Good luck.

Thanks Kevin, you sure can't beat the price can you. How long do they last and do your hands get sweaty like with nitrile gloves? I wear the nitrile gloves for finishing but I usually can't get them off fast enough. Yeah, between the neuropathy and my tinnitus I could really use an overhaul. Fortunately, I don't have any problems with the cold, at least not yet.

Andy Rooney

So do I and as a diabitic I understand what you are going thru. I been using mechanics gloves for a long time and operated machinery with them. You just have to pay extra attention when working the machinery and make sure the ones you get fit snuggly.