Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back To Building a New Shop Bench

Back To Building a New Shop Bench

Back in July or August I made a slab for a new shop sized (non-portable) Moravian style workbench. After finishing the slab I ran into a couple of problems that stopped progress. The first was getting my wood for the base, I wanted to use 12/4 Ash. The local wood store said the Phoenix store had it in stock and would deliver with the next shipment. The next shipment no joy but it would for sure be on the next one. Yep you guessed it, the check is in the mail. By this time I was getting ready to spend September in the PNW so everything slid until we were back from Oregon. Once back I'm back in the chase for 12/4 timber for the base after a week or so of back and forth with the wood store I quote "The Ash is too checked and ugly to sale but we do have some 12/4 Hard Maple at $13 USD a foot instead. Ain't no way I'm using $13 USD wood for a workbench base, glue up or not.

Cut to the chase. They had some 8/4 Beech on sale for just under $5 USD a BF, so it needs glue up, for $ 7 USD a BF I can handle that. Just under $400 USD I have my base plus some spendles and legs from the cutoffs. I've broken the Beech down and will start glue up of the legs and stretchers this afternoon. If work and honey dos do not interfere too much I should have a new bench in a couple or three weeks.

ken

Sounds like they just tripped the starting gate in Tucson. Go Ken.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Sounds like they just tripped the starting gate in Tucson. Go Ken.
    David,

Yep, the slab has been taking up room and gathering dust for too long. The last chair is within a coat or two of Milk paint to finish and then it is off to the races. BTW, I glued up two of the leg blanks tonight. The other two in the AM. The long stretchers to follow. The joinery is pretty quick, I've done it enough times there will be little butt scratching needed. The only thing that may take some time is fiddling with the vise, too many parts that need to be fitted to the bench, the slab, and the vise backer board.

ken

Ken,

I would guess there are several of us looking forward to finding out how the big Moravian works for you as a main bench.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

I would guess there are several of us looking forward to finding out how the big Moravian works for you as a main bench.

Stew
    Stew,

I'm not sure if it will be the main bench, the one closest to the tool chest and wall racks, but it should get a lot of use. It will be slightly shorter than the English/French bench and a little lower. Total weight will also be less but still pretty heavy with a 90mm+ slab and close to 125mm wide legs and stretchers all made of ~16/4 Beech. Portable? Ain't no way but it will be easy to break down if it needs moving. It may be the Pangloss of workbenches.

ken

The leg blanks are glued up and sized. The stretcher blanks are in the clamps. Tomorrow I'll size the stretcher blanks and maybe even start on the joinery. I'm working the backside of the clock next week so it may be slow going. There is no real hurry but I'd like to get that sucker off my plate, it has been hanging around the shop much too long.

Stretcher in glue up:

benchStretchers.jpg

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-03-2018 at 3:00 PM.

The slab is finished. Legs and stretchers are trued and dimensioned. The scut work is done. With almost every build, at this point I swear this will be my last bench. Who knows, someday it may be. Whatever, the enjoyable part of the build is next. There is still heavy stuff to move around but for the most part it is a one person job. The joinery is fun, a bench isn't furniture. it is a tool and if a joint isn't perfect as long as it is strong who cares. Same with a dent or two, after a month or so in the shop they will be joined by many others.

I'm taking a break, it is a beautiful Fall day in the desert and the Day of The Dead. I expect MsBubba and I will try to find a Mexican Cafe with a patio. If there are not too many cerveza consumed I'll start marking out tonight.

ken

I've started the joinery on the bench base. First is the upper stretcher, then the middle mortise and tenon, and last the bottom dovetail. If MsBibba doesn't spot me and forgets I'm in the shop I may complete the leg joinery this weekend. I doubt it will happen but it could. When I first started making Moravian benches I thought the three different joints on the base was an affection, maybe even showing off but after living with several benches I've come to appreciate the thought that went into and utility of the joints. I know broken record but the sum of the Moravian bench is greater than the parts.

Upper stretcher fitted to the front base:

benchUpperStretcher.jpg

Camera angle makes it look cattywampus. Everything is pretty square for just one stretcher fitted.

ken

Nice build, Ken. Always enjoyable to follow along. I did notice you went out for cervezas on the 4th, and didn’t return here until the 9th. Must have been a good dinner

Phil,

I had the same thought about the build, and also about the cerveza comment. I wondered if Ken would get a kidding about being gone so long after his cerveza comment. Yep, must have been a very good dinner.

Ken, glad to see you back. It is good too to get to keep up with and enjoy the build.

From your last update post, you must have been working on stuff though.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-09-2018 at 8:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice build, Ken. Always enjoyable to follow along. I did notice you went out for cervezas on the 4th, and didn’t return here until the 9th. Must have been a good dinner
    Thanks Phil,

It was a good day of the Dead .

I've been working the back side of the clock, things go a little slowly when I'm doing that.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Phil,

I had the same thought about the build, and also about the cerveza comment. I wondered if Ken would get a kidding about being gone so long after his cerveza comment. Yep, must have been a very good dinner.

Ken, glad to see you back. It is good too to get to keep up with and enjoy the build.

From your last update post, you must have been working on stuff though.

Stew
    Stew,

It was .

Sometimes the day (night) job slows down builds. I ain't as young and strong as I once was, but you are correct most of last week was spent doing housekeeping, Finding wood for the stretchers and preparing it, marking out and so on. It always amazes me how much time it takes to mark out, of course a good part of that time is scratching butt and making sure the marks are when they need to be.

ken

Enjoying this build so far. Hoping to start milling lumber on mine late next week. Will take several weeks to complete, lots of OT to cover at the real job with the holidays coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Enjoying this build so far. Hoping to start milling lumber on mine late next week. Will take several weeks to complete, lots of OT to cover at the real job with the holidays coming up.
    Thanks Steve,

Life has a way of slowing builds. I'm shooting for a mid Dec. completion but once pass mid Nov. who knows, it could go into the new year.

Good luck on your build, photos if you can,

ken

First step is the hardest one Steve. Gets easier after you finally get started.
    David