Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Back To Building a New Shop Bench

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    First step is the hardest one Steve. Gets easier after you finally get started.
    Ain't that the truth.

ken

The base is coming along, I finished fitting both top stretchers this morning. I've a need to run the streets for a couple of hours, Home Depot, Costco, pick up meds, and maybe some Vietnamese for lunch. I should finish the running around it time to start on the middle mortise and tenons this afternoon. There is a slight chance the bases will be ready for glue up Sunday. I wouldn't bet on it but maybe.

benchBaseTopStretchers.jpg

ken

Looks like you are solidly into the project now that the joinery work has started. Carry on.
    David

Looks like you are solidly into the project now that the joinery work has started. Carry on.
    Yep David,

This is the fun part. There is still a lot of heavy lifting to do but for the most part it is a one man job.

I'm starting to smell the barn and beginning the homeward gallop. It is really hard to walk away even when the day job demands it.

I can't wait to put this sucker to work.

ken

First step is the hardest one Steve. Gets easier after you finally get started.
    I have had the material cut to rough size for a few months, so I guess I have started

Steve, I believe they are slapping you on the behind end to load you into the starting gate now and the starter has his hand on the pull rope.
    David

Steve, I believe they are slapping you on the behind end to load you into the starting gate now and the starter has his hand on the pull rope.
    Yep, I can feel the love. I work a VERY odd schedule, with tons of OT, so the quickest project becomes an ordeal. We'll get it done though

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Yep, I can feel the love. I work a VERY odd schedule, with tons of OT, so the quickest project becomes an ordeal. We'll get it done though
    Steve, the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

I'll bet my work schedule is as bad as yours. Up until a month ago when the new "quality of life" program came into effect (they had to find a way to stem losses) they could work us 11 days in a row and often did. If I didn't like my job as much as I do I would have retired long ago.

I know it is hard to do, find time for the shop, but just think how great it will be working on your new bench.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress.

ken

I've four through mortises to chop. The tenon is a one shoulder tenon that is close to splitting the stretcher in half giving a 20mm wide tenon and mortise. That presents a small problem. My largest pigsticker is 1/2", I could use the 5/16" pigsticker and do two rows inside the mortise and then clean out the middle. Or drill out most of the wood and clean up the "Vs" and sides with a paring chisel. I do not like either of those options, the double mortise is too slow and too much work, The drill and pare is also slower than just going at it with a correct sized chisel.

Awhile ago I bought a set of Narex firmer chisels on a lark, mostly because it is hard to find new firmer chisels and they were cheap. The handle shape and size sucks as with most Narex chisels so after a quick sharpening I stuck them in a chisel rack and forgot about 'em until today.

As mentioned earlier I needed a 20mm chisel and guess what, the Narex set had a 20mm firmer chisel. Well they are cheap enough not to worry about ruining. I thought about using a "chisel" hammer for a couple of seconds to protect the handle but rejected that thought, again because they are cheap. Out comes my normal mortise mallet, "lumpy", and off to the races.

While I use a lump hammer as a mortise mallet I do not go all Conan on the chisel. I find light taps gives better control and is faster than whacking it hard. The lump hammer just takes less energy than other hammers.

Anyway, after a quick mortise chop I'm pretty happy with the Narex chisel and for grins I looked at the Narex web site to see what they said about the firmer chisels: The firmer chisel is a "Special tool for rough work. Blade tapers in width and lengthwise from tip to shoulder for sidewall clearance. Forged blade is made of traditional Cr-Mn steel and heat treated to 59 HRc. Ergonomic handle from hard and hefty hornbeam wood is strong enough to withstand heavy blows with a mallet."

Hornbeam handle is good but I expect if I use the chisel again I'll take a spokeshave to it and put a couple of flats to help orientation much like a pigsticker has.

The first of four mortises is finished:

benchMidStretcherMortise.jpg

The iron held up well, after finishing the first side I looked at and felt the edge. There were no chip outs, just a couple of shiny spots. I took a couple or three strokes on the medium India and a quick strop and it was back to work.

ken

Mortise looks great. If you here your doorbell, run, it will be the chisel police backed up by the hammer judges.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Steve, the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

I'll bet my work schedule is as bad as yours. Up until a month ago when the new "quality of life" program came into effect (they had to find a way to stem losses) they could work us 11 days in a row and often did. If I didn't like my job as much as I do I would have retired long ago.

I know it is hard to do, find time for the shop, but just think how great it will be working on your new bench.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress.

ken
    4 days off then 24 on. Mix of 8 & 12 hour days. And no one quits, I don't understand it. I got less than 3 years and I am out. Will be 55 and finding a straight day shift job, won't care about the coin then.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Mortise looks great. If you here your doorbell, run, it will be the chisel police backed up by the hammer judges.
    Jim
    Jim,

I know heresy, just put the lump hammer down and step away from the chisels and everything will be ok.

Now if I can just find my meds,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I know heresy, just put the lump hammer down and step away from the chisels and everything will be ok.

Now if I can just find my meds,

ken
    Whenever I find myself in the tool dilemma it reminds me of an old friend. In this case it had to do with racing cars but it applies well in this case. “You have to run with what you brung”. When I find myself in that “if I only had” situation I remember that and just go on. Sometimes I find something I really like right in my available kit. I have yet to try a lump hammer but one is available should the need become apparent.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Whenever I find myself in the tool dilemma it reminds me of an old friend. In this case it had to do with racing cars but it applies well in this case. “You have to run with what you brung”. When I find myself in that “if I only had” situation I remember that and just go on. Sometimes I find something I really like right in my available kit. I have yet to try a lump hammer but one is available should the need become apparent.
    Jim
    Jim,

Lump hammers will not work with all chisels but with the right wood handle and you don't go all Conan I think they work better than lighter hammers. I wouldn't try it with new LV toasted Maple handles I'm sure they would split but Hornbeam is no problem. Off the top of my head I believe LN chisels use Hornbeam as does the new Stanley 750s.

On the same vein as your racing friend back in the 60's when Darrell Royal (coach of the Texas Longhorns) was asked why he didn't pass the ball he would answer that "you dance with those that brung ya".

ken

Beavering away on the workbench base. Why do I save the hardest for last? I guess just because I'm drawn that way.

The middle short stretchers are ready to fit. The bottom short stretchers will have a dovetail so no mortise to chop. The mortises for the long stretchers are next, these are the largest mortises of the build, 32mm wide X 130mm deep X 145mm long. Come on Ibuprofen do your thing. Here is a photo of the first one after a couple or three passes.

benchLongStretcherMortise.jpg

Maybe three more passes to be deep enough to turn the leg over and come from the back side.

Each mortise takes a little over an hour with sharpening breaks, doggie butt scratching, and resting my noodle arm so I expect with adding the day job in, the Woodcraft Boot Sale Saturday, and only one day off this week, it may be next week before the base is glued up and ready to stand on its own.

ken