Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pex for air lines?

Sure. Sixty days.. sitting on a pallet, outside a neglected job site, in clear shrink wrap, in full sun every day, in death valley or Arizona.

Kroikies. Let's get real here people.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would risk anything in this realm, thinking they know better than the manufacturer and the products ratings.. I have a mix of Rapid Air MaxLine and FastPipe. It's great stuff. Easy to work with. The MaxLine is pex-al-pex and is rated for compressed air. I am certain if something happened and insurance got involved using something not rated for compressed air would be their easy out of a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    The MaxLine is pex-al-pex and is rated for compressed air.
    It’s not pex. It’s hdpe plastic. Pex doesn’t like the oil in compressed air lines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    It’s not pex. It’s hdpe plastic. Pex doesn’t like the oil in compressed air lines.
    PEX is cross linked polyethylene, very similar to HDPE. It is rated at the same pressure for motor oil at 73 degrees as for water, only at 140 degrees is it derated to 50%. So that argument does not stand unless you run PEX directly from the compressor where heat may become an issue. Heat rapidly diminishes as you distance yourself from the compressor. Interesting that in the attached table, they rate PEX at 100% up to 180 degrees with nitrogen.

Certainly the expensive HDPE-AL-HDPE product from MaxAir would be an even better choice.

"PEX has significantly enhanced properties compared with ordinary PE. ... Almost all PEX used for pipe and tubing is made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE). PEX contains cross-linked bonds in the polymer structure, changing the thermoplastic to a thermoset." If you believe the internet.

https://mrpexsystems.com/wp-content/...ance-Chart.pdf
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-13-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I’m just going by what the manufacturers tell us. I’ve been installing pex since it came out. There are better alternatives.

I have the MaxLine and FastPipe stuff in my shop. I feel it was well worth the relatively low cost. I have over 300 ft of tubing and dozen or so drops. Zero issues with it and installation went well.