Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carriage Doors - hinge and wind advice.

If you use a chain, a "crash chain" (chain with one or two springs) will minimize the hard shock that could damage jamb attachments.

Heavy duty door closers will not be inexpensive but will be worth it. You may be able to get them used though they might need repair.

91FAC297-409D-4A33-ADAF-392DCEAF80E1.jpg

After finishing both doors, a friend came by and said “shouldn’t the inside of the doors look nice too? It’s your shop”. So of course after two days of self imposed guilt I bought some 1/2” poplar and faced the inside of the plywood with a simple design. Painting later once the shop is framed and doors installed, to match the existing adjacent house color.

I bought some Richards Wilcox hinges, thx for the advice.

Jon

Thanks for this post. I am a little behind you with my shop build but planning to do the exact same thing with my smaller set of doors.
    Regards,

Kris

Glad to have something small to offer here, rather than be a full time lurker and taker. I’m looking forward to see how you trim out the glazing, as there are several options. As you can see I left my windows oversize for the needed extra natural light. I decided that the heat loss was offset by fewer windows taking out critical wall space over the benches and countertops.

I ordered a neoprene/brush strip to seal the bottom of each door.