Thread: Source for bearings in Porters Cable 7518 router

Source for bearings in Porters Cable 7518 router

I've had my PC 7518 router for almost 20 years. So I wasn't upset to hear, and feel the signs the bearings needed replacing. The folks over at Reproduction Woodworks do a great job of walking you through taking one apart and removing the bearings. The author even gives the name of his source which I might be inclined to use, but he has no experience with them, just the sales persons word. Does anyone on SMC have experience with a quality bearing source for this router? I'm not in any hurry to get the bearings if they are high quality. Or are they all so close in quality it just doesn't matter? I've replaced a couple automotive bearings, but that could be a different animal than bearings for electric motors. I've heard the new PC 7518 bearings aren't the same quality as the old ones were. Thus this search for a different source. Would welcome any advice or findings from your experience. Thanks!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

If you have a bearing supplier in or near your town take them there. They will have replacements or be able to order them in if an odd size they don't have in house and likely have a few brands and grade options. They are usually less expensive than OEM bearings.

If you don't have a local place then Toolparts direct do. $9.40 and $16.96.
    https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/port...ed-router.html

Accurate Bearing in Ohio is a great place to buy bearings. The only thing they do (to my knowledge) is sell bearings. I have a standing account with them and have bought many bearings over the past 10-15 years. I have totally rebuilt a number of old (some over 50 years old) big heavy woodworking machines with some taking up to 8 bearings. You have to take the old bearings out and both read the numbers on them and accurately measure the outside diameter and width and inner hole before you call. Google their web site and they have charts of bearings you can look stuff up on. Its a good source to learn about bearings too. Most of their good bearings come from Japan from what I have seen. I haven't found one yet they couldn't replace... BTW, I have that same router that's probably the same age.
    Accurate Bearing Co
    432 S Irmen Drive
    Addison, Il 60101
    800 323-6548 or 630 543-2100

Lynne Scott is contact

Know bearing number you want and how many and if shielded(metal) or sealed (fibrous). Most shouldbe sealed (LL) not shielded (ZZ) normally for woodworking. Good luck.

Randy

Here's another vote for Accurate Bearing. Lynne knows her stuff, their prices are good, and their shipping is very reasonable. As Randall said, it helps a lot to have all the original bearing info in front of you when you call.

Thanks for the heads up on Accurate Bearing. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Have all the measurements made except for the width. Will do that of course and give them a call tomorrow morning. Let you know what they say and Prices on the bearings. Both top and bottom bearings are labeled as coming from Taiwan.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

You might want to replace the brushes while you're at it.

For future reference, please post the part number that you end up getting. I have several 7518's about the same age.

I just ordered some bearings for my drill press from Misumi USA, Inc. The bearings were much less expensive than other sources I found. Shipping is a little steep. All in all, a good experience on ordering bearings. https://us.misumi-ec.com/