Thread: Suspended Hollow Form

Suspended Hollow Form

I just just completed this hollow form tonight. I was intrigued by some of the suspended hollow forms I have seen and I had a maple burl that was just about right for one. I started turning and originally thought that it would be one piece, but as I started turning the proportions weren’t right. So into the wood pile and grabbed some walnut at first, but it looked too plain. So I grabbed the next piece, it was Paduak. I added the point and turned the final shape.
    Next came the stand. My first thought was 3 legs but nothing looked right. So I was sketching ideas and the single spire came to me. I knew it had to be curved and graceful. I like the proportions of the “flame”.
    I found a nice piece of crotch flame maple in my wood pile for the base.

The dowels were turned from the burl wood as well.

The shape of the stand is a mimic of the shape of the hollow form.

The finish was the part I struggled with the most. At first it was just tung oil, but it didn’t look right. Then I tried a friction polish, BLO/shellac/alcohol. Close, but I wanted a high gloss. Next decision was lacquer or CA. My finishing cabinet didn’t have any gloss lacquer so CA it was.

It is 13 inches with the stand and the hollow form is 5 inches in diameter.

critiques are welcome.

C882CB72-972D-476F-AAE6-40742437F9E7.jpeg8F089565-9D3B-4D49-A962-774E813CE71E.jpg
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Great piece and I love the description of your thought process. I am surprised at your choice of CA finish and amazed at the quality of that finish on this size of form.

Beautiful work!

WOW!!!!...amazing piece...well done..

Beautifully done, Scott!
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Great piece and I love the description of your thought process. I am surprised at your choice of CA finish and amazed at the quality of that finish on this size of form.
    Dennis, thank you.
    I struggled with the CA decision as well. I had tried it on a test piece and got a really good finish so I dove in. Fifteen minutes later I was cursing the decision as I had two spots that I sanded through and didn’t look right. So I sanded it all off and started over. I also had a couple cloudy areas on this piece. The second time through I didn’t use accelerator and it turned out nice.
    don't know if I’ll use it again but it is definitely an option.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Looks beautiful. A bit like a plumb bob

That is really a WOW piece!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Nice one for sure!!!

Thank you all for the compliments. This was my first piece that I consider display worthy. I have turned bowls and a few large vases with and without natural edges. But those, while they are nice pieces, don't warrant a "front and center" display. This one my wife took and immediately put it on the matel in the living room.
    So I thank you all for the confirmation.

That is beautiful!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

A very impressive artistic piece and worthy of the praise received.
    C&C WELCOME