Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Cherry Box

Small Cherry Box

Good evening!

This post might almost be more appropriate for the “projects” forum but I was going to talk about some of the new techniques I taught myself so I thought I’d post here.

I’ve been making little boxes out of big box store pine to practice some new techniques, etc. and finally decided to take a scrap of 4/4 cherry I had and have a friend resaw it (no bandsaw yet!) so I could make a box out of it.

In addition to the dovetails that I always enjoy practicing I ran grooves for top and bottom panels with my plow plane and also used it to plane rabbets on all sides of the top and bottom pieces. I don’t yet have a rabbet plane (though I may have found a source for a vintage Stanley 78 at a good deal) I scored the end grain rabbets and used my plow plane on those with no issues! On a few other boxes I’ve made with similar lids I cut and chiseled the end grain rabbets and I much prefer the result of these.

Additionally, this wa the first box I’ve ever made where I glued it up totally enclosed and then sawed off the top half for the lid. At first I tried to rig up a straight edge to saw against and when that proved a bit frustrating (slow going and I was spending way too much effort just focusing on keeping the saw against the fence as it was clamped a bit awkwardly) I decided to just throw caution to the wind and saw it freehand. Once I got started it was really kind of a “duh” moment - just saw between the lines (I had scribed two lines about 1/8” apart with my marking gauge). I planned down to the lines after the fact and with just a bit of sanding on a flat surface I had a perfectly mated top and bottom.

On other projects I’ve flocked the interior and that has been a finicky, sometimes frustrating process - two projects ago I found out the hard way that the flocking adhesive becomes very run if you leave it out in the garage in Texas heat...had to reflock that project twice! For this one, I decided to pick up a piece of quilting fabric and batting from a fabric store and try my hand at making a fabric liner. As “simple” as the box is I like the pop of color that the fabric provides.

Earlier today I posted in the general forum asking about finding sources for thinner stock. A few people said “get a planer” or “just go for a bandsaw” and while I’m saving up for a bandsaw I’d frankly just like to spend less time resawing thicker stock and more time making things. I did get a few good suggestions and may try one of those sources out soon as I’d like to make a few more small boxes - I know I will be paying a bit of a premium but from what I’ve researched so far the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Apologies for the out of order photos...can’t seem to figure out how to rearrange posting from my ipad. Anyway, enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Nice looking keepsake box Brian.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like it! I especially like the way you made a finger grip so the box can be opened. That's clever and it looks nice.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well done, Brian, looks great. Box making is a fun way to learn a lot of different techniques. I’ll give you lots of credit for freehand sawing the box apart. I’ve “resized” a number of boxes with botched sawing. I now use either a table saw or router table to do the job.

Blog Entries
    She's a beauty. I too am a fan of your finger-ease approach to the lid grip. Simple and elegant. Take a comparison picture a year from now and you will be amused by the darkening of the material.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    She's a beauty. I too am a fan of your finger-ease approach to the lid grip. Simple and elegant. Take a comparison picture a year from now and you will be amused by the darkening of the material.
    Thanks! An easy little operation I picked up from watching a Paul Sellers video. Just used a regular chisel. I, too, am looking forward to seeing how the cherry darkens. The board I used had been sitting in my garage shop for about four months and looked beautiful - had to plane off most of the oxidized wood to bring the boards to size for this box but I know what I get to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well done, Brian, looks great. Box making is a fun way to learn a lot of different techniques. I’ll give you lots of credit for freehand sawing the box apart. I’ve “resized” a number of boxes with botched sawing. I now use either a table saw or router table to do the job.
    Thanks! I was exceptionally nervous about it - maybe it was just beginner’s luck. We will see if my luck holds on future boxes!

Looks really nice. You said you used a plow plane for the top and bottom grooves. Did you do stopped grooves so they wouldn't show in the finished box?

Nice box Brian. I like the inset lid - adds a nice touch of elegance. And good job sawing the box - never admit to luck: it worked out just the way you planned it.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Looks really nice. You said you used a plow plane for the top and bottom grooves. Did you do stopped grooves so they wouldn't show in the finished box?
    Yes - I wasn’t very clear. Router plane for the short boards to make stopped grooves.

For some reason I can’t open the thumbnails.

Same here can’t open the pictures!

Brian, Cool box. Right forum for that story. I appreciate that you left room for the kerf so the DT's match in the end. Nice. That colorful liner is a treat. Thanks for the post.

The box is gorgeous, Brian.

I love the color of fresh-cut / machined cherry. I just wish there was a way to preserve the vibrant salmon color.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Nice, nice box Brian. They have already said it - fingernail opener, liner, simple elegance. Don't never stop.
    David