Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried The Tormek Again...Back to Stones.

Tried The Tormek Again...Back to Stones.

I'm not saying the Tormek doesn't work. I'm just saying it doesn't work for me. I've had the Tormek for years and have added lots of the accesories trying to make it work for me. Try as I may, I just can't get a square edge on a chisel or plane iron. Even with Tormek's Truing Tool, it still doesn't work. I worked on two chisels for about an hour. They came out very sharp, but not square. I had to spend another 2 hours with sandpaper and stones, getting them back square. I guess the Tormek goes back on the shelf. At most, I may keep it out for the strop, but that's about it. What a shame.

Derek: do not feel bad. I have the same problem....

Thanks. Since I paid so much for the Tormek, I was hoping to be able to at least use it to establish primary bevels. It makes such a great grinder. Now I know I can't even use it for that. I'll likely find out I can't even use it as strop either. I hope that's not the case.

I had the same issue with squareness in the past. I invested in the upgraded edge jig (se 77) and that works much better for me. Easier to align and has built in adjustment screws to get square when you set it up or it gets out of square. So it was worth the investment. Not sure I would invest in a tormek if I had to do it all over again but it is a good upgrade if you already have one.

What Johannes said. The SE-77 jig fixes all the problems of the SE-66 jig. Before you give up on the Tormek try the SE-77 jig. I just use mine to repair cutters but it is worth having for that.

ken

So...after I true the stone, I use the SE77 to square it up? Can you explain or are there Youtubes on it?

When using the square jig, keep a small mallet handy. Tap the iron left or right to adjust it in the jig and square the grind up. Don't bother aligning it to the 'square' edge. The tool rest bar has so much slop in it, you always have to compensate. The Tormek is a great machine, but you can not trust any of the jigs to get it right on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'm not saying the Tormek doesn't work. I'm just saying it doesn't work for me. I've had the Tormek for years and have added lots of the accesories trying to make it work for me. Try as I may, I just can't get a square edge on a chisel or plane iron. Even with Tormek's Truing Tool, it still doesn't work. I worked on two chisels for about an hour. They came out very sharp, but not square. I had to spend another 2 hours with sandpaper and stones, getting them back square. I guess the Tormek goes back on the shelf. At most, I may keep it out for the strop, but that's about it. What a shame.
    One Derek to another

None of what you write is right. Either there is a fault in the way you use the truing tool, or the way you use the #76. I use the #76 in preference to the #77.

The truing tool should cause the tool rest to be parallel to the surface of the wheel. If it is not so, then it is user error.

Your #76 may be faulty. If so, determine this, and then file the side fence so that the blade sits square to the wheel. Mine is perfect.

Even if all is perfect, user error can creep in if you use unequalised down force on the blade.

Something must be in error since you have had and used it long. But to return to hand grinding .... Oh boy, no way!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Before you buy the se77 try using a small square with the se66 to square the blade in it. I have always done that and have no trouble getting the grind square.

I tend to agree with Derek. But you will never get anything square if the sides are not parallel. A lot of the old Stanley plane irons were not parallel.

But my question is: What different does it make if the edge is not perfectly square to the side? 99.99 percent of the time I am slicing, paring or chopping with a chisel and I don't care if the blade is perfectly square or not, only if it is sharp. And if it isn't sharp I stop and sharpen it or get a sharper one for that point of time. Which brings up another question and that is how sharp is sharp. NO work is being done or better yet no project is any closer to being completed if a person is spending all, his, her, time worrying if their tool is perpendicular to the side.

I built the project below and not once did I worry about my edge being square to the side. Or how sharp my tool was, only if it was sharp enough to get the job done.

DSC03415.JPGDSC03414.JPG
    Tom

I agree, I don’t understand why a smidge off square would matter. Perhaps it’s more important if you use jigs to sharpen/hone.

Tom, I totally respect whatever you have to say. I can only say that right now, I'm in sharpening mode and concentrated on doing the best I can with what I have. Since I have the Tormek, I'm trying to use it to get me as close to perfect as I can get. In my mind, basic chisels and plane iron "should" be square, unless otherwise designed, so that's what I work toward. In practice, will I ever get there? Likely not, but I feel that a $600 sharpener should help me get there, not take me further from it. Is it partly user error...yes, probably so, but the instructions don't tell me how to fix that.
    If the Tormek can get me closer, I'll use it. If stones will get me closer, I'll use it. If the SE-77 will get me closer, I"ll use it. What works best, I"ll use it. That's all I'm saying.

Derek A,

100% agree with what the other Derek said. Like any tool, you need to learn to use it. Once the stone is square after using the truing tool, you should have little error in your square set ups IF the thing you are sharpening has parallel sides. I just used my tormek yesterday to sharpen some scissors, it does a magnificent job. My wife couldn't believe how sharp they were.

A few things to keep in mind as you use your tool:

1) When you true the stone, take a light cut and move the thumb wheels as slow as possible. It does not cut aggressively, you should take as long as you can to give the diamond plenty of time to cut and true the stone. Going too fast will make the edge quite uneven.

2) Once the stone is true, use the angle jig to get the correct adjustment to the tool rest. If you are sharpening an iron that has a whacky bevel, you might consider getting it close first with a high speed vertical grinder.

3) When grinding with the now trued wheel, use the entire surface of the stone and go off the edge by some amount. You want to apply even pressure and use the entire surface of the wheel, not just the middle. You can use the adjustable stops to keep whatever you are sharpening from going off the edge of the wheel.

4) Check your work often, you should see a nice uniform bevel form. If you are grinding new material at the edge because the old bevel was too shallow, no need to do the whole thing. Stop when it suits you or half way, whichever comes first. If the new material is coming off the heel of the bevel, that will take some time, be patient. Having said that, even if the iron is a total basket case. you should be able to go from unusable to back in your plane cutting in 15 minutes. It you are spending longer than that, your technique is off.

5) Use the grading stone after a few sharpens to keep the wheel in good order. You should only retrue when it needs it.

6) Even pressure is what's important at the cutting edge. Don't bias the pressure to one side or guess what? The cutting edge will be angled to that side or perhaps curved.

7) Ensure that the tool rest has both knobs tightened.

8) Finally, ask around who has one and go watch them use it. It really is a magnificent tool, and it pains me to hear that anyone is not having good results. It's like having a Porsche 911 in your garage, but you can't drive it because you don't know how to drive stick. Learn how to drive stick!

Hope this helps.

Pete

I've got the old green Tormek 2000, which I love, and I would second Pete's observations. I would add that when you put the blade in the jig, make sure you are firmly registered against the 90 guide side. Then make sure that you tighten the jig knobs very carefully so they exert even pressure. Remember to take into account that the knob on the other side of the 90 guide may have more leverage than the near one due to blade width. It can be very easy to twist the blade slightly when tightening the knobs. When you first start grinding, check that you are getting a 90 edge, before you get to far into the grinding, in case you need to adjust it.

I struggled with getting 90 egdes for a while when I first got the machine. For plane blades it isn't that import but out of 90 chisel blades drive me absolutely batty. It takes time and practice like anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Naeger View Post
    When using the square jig, keep a small mallet handy. Tap the iron left or right to adjust it in the jig and square the grind up. Don't bother aligning it to the 'square' edge. The tool rest bar has so much slop in it, you always have to compensate. The Tormek is a great machine, but you can not trust any of the jigs to get it right on their own.
    I think joe has the answer here
    watch what you are doing and adjust accordingly

if you use sand paper and stones you must check your progress as you go, right?

I dont have a tormek I just bought a grizzly
    I notice i can control squareness by how much time i spend grinding one side or another
    these are water wheel grinders the big point is they do not over heat the blade like a high speed bench grinder does
    Carpe Lignum