Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collet type gouge handles

Dimensions of handle inserts ("collets")

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    John:
    I'd be interested in getting more info on where you get the pieces of aluminum, do you drill and tap for the set screws, and what are the wall thicknesses of the inserts.
    I'd have to do some measuring when I get back down to the shop.
    Ed, I measured a few.

This one is a spare in the drawer.

insert_spare.jpg

Material: ALUMINUM
    Length of exposed part: 15/16"
    OD: ~3/4"
    ID (hole drilled for the tool shaft): 3/8+"
    Wall thickness for set screws: ~3/16"
    Total length including part glued in handle: 2"
    OD of part glued in handle: ~5/8", ~1/8" wall

I didn't measure the set screw diameter and threads, let me know if you want to make any and I can check them. 3/16" wall thickness is fairly thin but I think it is plenty strong enough even in aluminum. However I do grind the bottom off the set screws to make them shorter. Looking at the inserts I measured it looks like I might always make the wall thickness about 3/16".

I measured a few inserts mounted in handles, some I made, two I bought. (All I've seen for sale were made with 1" OD.)

#6 STEEL: 3/4" OD, 3/8+" ID, 3/16" wall
    Note: I offset the center hole a little to allow a bit more wall thickness for set screw

#8 BRASS: 1" OD, 5/8" ID, 3/16" wall

#4 ALUMINUM: 1" OD, 3/8+" ID, 5/16-" wall
    Note: this one I bought, OD is too big for my liking

#3 ALUMINUM: 1" OD, 1/4+" ID, 3/8-" walll
    Note: this one I bought is WAY too big for a 1/4" tool!

handle_inserts_numbered.jpg

I have also accumulated a number of handles made to use set screws to hold the tool. Some have just one set screw - I don't like those.

You're most welcome to visit! I've had visitors from three states recently who stopped for a shop visit when passing through.

JKJ

2. John:
    Thanks for all of the very complete info.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    I have one of the Robust handles and .... often times I have to disassemble the whole thing to remove the gouge, i.e., there is not slip in/slip out. I may be doing something wrong. But I like the feel.
    In the video on the Robust website about the handles, Brent shows that you just tap the end of the handle on your work bench while holding the handle vertically and the collet releases. That's what I do too. Works good.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"