Thread: Mantel Trim Detail! What is it???

Question Mantel Trim Detail! What is it???

Can anyone explain how the trim detail around the panels is constructed? Is it an inset applied molding, cope and stick with an inset panel, or something different?

Does anyone have an idea what that profile is called/what is comprised of? I think I see a cove plus some other small detail near the panel. Obviously hard to tell for sure without a closeup photo.

Many Thanks!
    Paul

I would describe that one as a "panel moulding". Since it was machined on the face ,not the edge, it is most likely
    applied.

Blog Entries
    Yep, applied moulding. If you are going to paint, a decent lumber yard will have tons of profiles in MDF and other woods if you want to stain.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They all look like the inside corners are round , like they where CNC cut and stacked on one another to me.

If they where applied the corners would square.

I’m not saying they can’t be done and cut and applied , but these to me seem rounded at the corners , so routed rather than mitered.

Blog Entries
    I think the corners are square. It appears that the shadows hide the corners a bit. If you zoom in the corners definitely appear to be square and that would make this applied molding.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I did zoom in and on my I pad , to me , they appear rounded.

I see those those corners now. Paul might be right about CNC. I don't find the mantle to be good,but we have all seen a lot worse. Looks like the crown mould is made of pieces ,and I think a bed mould would be better there.

Higher Res Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think the corners are square. It appears that the shadows hide the corners a bit. If you zoom in the corners definitely appear to be square and that would make this applied molding.

Great feedback! Below is the url for the website with the original photo. The resolution might be slightly better than what I uploaded. There is molding on the ceilings that might be the same as the mantel?? Do you think the mantel is a single applied molding or built up?

My wife loves the look, so it would be great to match the design as close as possible. Is there any chance anyone knows what that profile is, or is the photo too grainy? Thanks again!

http://centaurinteriors.com/streeterville-residence/

The mantel itself to me , doesn’t run past the end of the plinths , nor does it stick past the breast plate enough for my tastes.

I think the “crown” is a cove , which is stacked onto a face mounted trim piece that has a ogee cut onto it.

I can see why the builder ended up with the very shallow over hangs at the actual mantel piece. They ran out of room to the L and R so the matched the front over hang to the sides.
    I also think the Crown or cove , is to “compressed “ / up right.

Had I designed the mantel I think I would have used a crown , some think bold , it’s easy to find skimpy crowns today , most if not all the MDF crowns lack crisp lines , or curves IMO.
    There’s a place in Ballard Wa. That sells crown with the early 1900 cutter pattern , the lines are “right”.

When I design a mantel the first thing I start with is how much room do you need on top?
    Most people have a very good idea what they will be putting on the mantel at Christmas time , that item becomes the starting point.

But in general the mantel you show , to me , the top and crown just kill the joy in the thing.

It needs more projection at the top , I’d have suggested running the crown around the corner , then I’d have let the actual mantel top project past the crown by around 3” .
    The front projection would closely match the side projection.

The lower sections are OK , I just don’t like the crown / cove area , nor the projection they used at the mantel top.
    It to cramped.

2FF5682C-C787-49D7-8C55-403B8D0F0246.jpg

Here’s a mantel that shows what I’d have done at the side, mainly just the top and top crown , and possible another level os build out to get the wrap around look at the top to allow the top to “breath”.

178DA5CD-CC19-403D-9B51-702AC0C6A16B.jpg

CA08DFC4-55AF-40DD-BCF7-3D1B8D1D5F6E.jpg

To me it looks like the entire mantle was put together with stock trim profiles, not cnc'ed. What you're seeing in the corners, making them look rounded, is probably a sloppy caulk job. Back in the day, we used to call this kind of work "caulk n walk". It doesn't look to me like a store bought mantle either because the proportions are a bit off, to me. Especially the mantle shelf overhang - way too short. My 2 cents.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Crown Projection

My situation is similar in that I'm lacking room to the right and left, so minimal crown projection is as asset.

Frame Thickness

Any guesses how thick the frame (vertical and horizontal pieces surrounding the panels) is? I'm wondering if the moulding and reveals add up to more than 3/4".

Thanks Again,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lasko View Post
    Any guesses how thick the frame (vertical and horizontal pieces surrounding the panels) is? I'm wondering if the moulding and reveals add up to more than 3/4".

Thanks Again,
    Paul

I’d say yes the small molding I’d guess at 1/2” , the next detail the ogee would be my guess at 3/4” , then a 1/4” square reveal to the face. So I’d guess 1 1/2” face of stile and rail to the flat panel face.

What's the best way for someone without a CNC to construct the frame part of this mantel? Does using a router table with a stile and rail set make sense? Would that work with MDF or would I need to use solid lumber? Am I on the right track or overlooking a better method?