Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on a Delta DC 580 20 inch planer?

So did you buy it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    So did you buy it ?
    I did not. After lots of thought on the matter I decided it was just to big. Even with the base it would be hard to move due to its weight and size, and from everything I read my chip collector wouldn't keep up with it which would cost me even more $$$. I'm hoping to find a newer 15 or 16 incher...

I haven't used that planer. I took a look at a photo online.

The dust collection hood looks right. Powermatic dust collection hoods force the shavings stream to turn a corner, and go down to a 4" port. The result is thatthe shavings get caught up in the cutterhead, and dent the wood.

I soled the problem by making a hood like the one on that Delta planer, with a 6" port.

Did you buy the planer? Perhaps you live three hours from me (in the right direction), and it's still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I haven't used that planer. I took a look at a photo online.

The dust collection hood looks right. Powermatic dust collection hoods force the shavings stream to turn a corner, and go down to a 4" port. The result is thatthe shavings get caught up in the cutterhead, and dent the wood.

I soled the problem by making a hood like the one on that Delta planer, with a 6" port.

Did you buy the planer? Perhaps you live three hours from me (in the right direction), and it's still for sale.
    What is it you have fore sale, and where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Braun View Post
    What is it you have fore sale, and where are you?
    I'm not selling my planer, but if I saw that Delta, I would buy it. I guess I would then have a Powermatic 20" planer for sale. I'm in central New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I'm not selling my planer, but if I saw that Delta, I would buy it. I guess I would then have a Powermatic 20" planer for sale. I'm in central New Hampshire.
    He is in Raleigh

So, UPDATE:

After much deliberation I've decided to take a 3 hr drive Sunday to look at and most likely purchase a Jet JWP 160 open stand planer. It comes with a mobile base, 2 extra sets of blades (need to figure out where to have them sharpened) , and a blade setting tool/gage. It looks to be in good shape, its more my size as far as pulling it out to use it,( it does not weigh 800+ pounds! ) and closer to my price range. I hope I works as well as it looks when I get there.

So I bought the jet, now to go through it and clean it and make sure its all set up correctly.

Scott, congrats on the planer. If he had the infeed/outfeed rollers set right I would suggest that you not mess with them. They are a bear to get adjusted just right. DAMHIKT
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Scott, congrats on the planer. If he had the infeed/outfeed rollers set right I would suggest that you not mess with them. They are a bear to get adjusted just right. DAMHIKT
    Thanks for the heads up, just installed a second 220 circuit in my shop so I can run my planer and dust collector at the same time.

So going through stuff on this planer I noticed it was only working at a single speed not the 2 its supposed to (should have checked closer at his place!), anyway the dog(clutch the manual calls it) came off the back side of the knob control. So I spent a couple hours yesterday taking the gear box apart and fixing that but its up and running again. Need to check/adjust the rest of it and give it a bit of a workout.