Thread: Is this Butternut?

Not sure. All the butternut I have is darker and I think more grey.

Looks like some form of plantation pine.

It is possible. Note that butternut is known as "poor an's walnut". When stained it has much the same look when stained dark. When planed or routed it can develop a fuzzy surface which can be a pain. Once made about 50 frames from it. Pretty wood, though.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Lauck View Post
    Not sure. All the butternut I have is darker and I think more grey.
    Same here.

6. I haven't used Butternut in a number of years but the grain pattern on the end cut (photo 2) does not appear to be what I recall it looking like.

Blog Entries
    Looks like pine to me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I thought it was pine, too, due to the slight resin smell.

But the color made me think of butternut, so I looked at some carving stock I know for sure is butternut and it looks awful similar.

Has the surface been planned a bit recently? Freshly planed pine does not have that color.

Blog Entries
    Radiata pine

Sugar pine would be my guess

Butternut can have a slight "nutty" smell when worked like walnut, and definitely not like the resin smell of pine. It has similar texture and grain as walnut, but lighter in color and weight, giving the alternate name "white walnut" It is softer than walnut, closer to poplar or the harder softwoods (but without the hard growth rings that some softwoods can have). Color can vary from whitish grey to golden brown.

It is one of my favorite woods, but it can be hard to find and is sometimes expensive. It is threatened by the butternut canker unfortunately and many trees have already been lost.

The wood in the picture looks more like one of the softer pines, sugar pine would be my guess based on the face and end grain pattern and the resin smell you describe.

Side note, I once happened upon a bunch of sugar pine 1x12s at HD being sold as regular #2 common lumber. I went back with my trailer the next day and bought every one they had. It made a couple bookshelves and some cabinets and many pinewood derby cars. Beautiful stuff, but we almost never see it in MN.

Doesn’t look like any butternut I have used. Looks like a lot of the pine I have used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I thought it was pine, too, due to the slight resin smell.

But the color made me think of butternut, so I looked at some carving stock I know for sure is butternut and it looks awful similar.
    Here is a link to the appearance of butternut
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute