Thread: Tool Storage

Tool Storage

Looking for a clean efficient way to store corded and cordless tools including saws, routers, and sanders. I am out of ideas.

I kept things simple here and utilize a couple rows of shelving on my workebench where the tools are available for quick and easy access. For corded tools I just wrap the cord around the tool, and for tools that have them I just keep them in their case or bag.

The tools in the picture include: belt sander, sheet sander, detail sander, engraver, corded drill, cordless drill, router (w/ plunge and fixed base), biscuit cutter, sonic crafter, oscillating multi-tool kit, jig saw, circular saw, air nailer, drum sander / restorer, staplers and pop riveters, drill bits, saw blades, etc.

The workbench also stores the spindle / belt sander, portable router table w/ router and scroll saw and a variety of handtools, sandpaper, kreg jig and other woodworking tools, templates and supplies. Portable power tools that I don't commonly use for woodworking (reciprocating saw, grinder, polishers, heat gun, air tools, etc.) are on shelving in another section of the shop.

Shelving can have additions such as sides or modified as boxes for further compartmentalization if desired.

- Workshop a.jpg

My corded tools are usually just kept in a metal file cabinet, as I don't use them a lot. ROS sander is kept out by the bench as I do use it a bit more. My cordless drill and impact driver i keep in a bracket on the ceiling (low ceiling I guess) above my bench. 'U' shape bracket to slip the handles in.

I also keep about a dozen 6" bar clamps up there on a rack as well, so they are handy. Out of the way, but still handy...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I prefer big, deep drawers for this - helps keep dust and spiders out of things. Get some plywood and heavy duty drawer slides and you'll be in business in no time. The filing cabinet idea mentioned above is also intriguing. You can often get those cheap on CL.

I have several file cabinets and card files for different storage needs. The card files work well for nails, screws, electrical, nuts/bolts/washers, etc.

For the few corded/cordless tools I have that are not in Systainers, I have some re-purposed kitchen upper cabinets in my shop that handle them. My nailers have a large drawer in my big Husky tool cabinet that also supports my combo sander and OSS. The Systainers are on shelves up above my J/P which keeps them out of the way but readily accessible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I picked up a large heavy duty storage cabinet at a local salvage yard for ~ $100, IIRC. For me, it is ideal shop storage for my Neander tools, corded tools large & small and misc. stuff. I also built a storage cabinet into my bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The vast majority of my handheld power tools are in those waterproof toolboxes shown in the picture earlier in this thread. The large ones are about 26" on the inside. The smaller ones I think about 21". For an example, the Sawzall box has a corded one, a cordless one, and all the blades and accessories in the lift out tray. Repeat many times over for things like Jigsaw, Dremel, 1/2" Drills, 3-1/4" Planers, 6-1/4" Planer, Finish nailers, Pin nailers, 1/2" Hammer nailer with all the bits up to about 3/4" has one, etc., etc., etc., etc. over 120 times.

Any box can be slid out of its cubby, and I have what I need to use with that tool.

About the only tools that don't fit are my circular saws, 3/4" drill, SDS-MAX hammer drill, Framing nailers, large staplers, and a few others, but not many. Handsaws have their own wooden boxes.

If we need some tools to go to work on something away, the boxes can go in the back of the truck, and it doesn't even matter if it's raining.

Here's a link to the large ones. The smaller ones look the same, only smaller. https://www.stanleytools.com/product...oolbox/028001l They say water resistant, but I tested the first one with a pressure washer, and not a single one has ever gotten a drop of water in it.

And the smaller ones: https://www.stanleytools.com/product...oolbox/023001w

edited to add: I forgot about the ones on wheels. There is also an exact copy box, of the large ones, that comes with wheels on one end, and a telescopic handle. The floor of the cubby cabinet is 1/4" plywood, so the wheels can roll right in and out. Heavy stuff stays on the floor level cubbies in those boxes with wheels-like the Pulling box that might weigh 75 pounds, and the Stonework, and Masonry tools that also have some heavy boxes. The handles telescope out enough so that they can be pulled along at a normal walking, upright stance.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...100D/206463159
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-27-2018 at 7:06 PM.

Put up some walls and use those Art.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I do like Bruce but, customized a bit. I also have an old Craftsman metal tool cabinet. I store corded drill motors and "heavy" hand tools (crow bars, bolt cutter, tin snips, sledge hammers) in the drawers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, I like your pull out shelves. It would sure make pulling out my little spindle sander a lot easier.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Put up some walls and use those Art.
    I still have some work to do before finishing the walls, but it will eventually be nice to have. Other than the radial arm saw, table saw and some of the hand power tools, most everything else was just added to the shop within the last year (the dust collector in the last several weeks), so I'm still making sure I have everything how I want it. After a bit more wiring, insulation (at the present, the wall only has 1/2" foamboard insulation and metal siding) and a few other things to complete, it will then be ready for framing and to be closed in. I also need to be able to fit finished walls into the budget and due to some great deals on the planer, jointer and dust collector, I've made some earlier than expected purchases and have blown well past what I've planned to spend this year. In addition, I have some other goodies on my wish list I'd like to try to fit in. Unfortunately I haven't even been close in the last several large lottery jackpots, so all will need to come in due time.

Ok understood. I ended up with some binder bins for higher less used storahe. They make great shelves when opened. Some above my metal lathe are great and handy.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.