Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Computer Help

Need Some Computer Help

Suddenly Google Chrome isn't playing nice with my computer. I have Windows 7 Professional. When I click on any Google icon on the desktop the whirligig spins like crazy and nothing happens, then I get a fault that says: The instruction at 0x3ffafoof referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read Chrome .exe Application error

Can anyone help me?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Reinstall it and see what happens, you won't lose any data.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Reinstall it and see what happens, you won't lose any data.
    What he said, but you might want to save bookmarks and remove the current copy before the reinstall. That error looks like a missing or wrong version support DLL.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If you have a google account all your bookmarks and setting should be there.

You should upgrade to Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You should upgrade to Windows 10.
    To fix a problem with Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    To fix a problem with Chrome?
    Yes. More robust and with constant updates. Updating/reinstalling Chrome also in order.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Yes. More robust and with constant updates. Updating/reinstalling Chrome also in order.
    Chrome is a separate program, and has nothing to do with Windows other than it runs within it (for now, until MS decides to disallow anything but Edge).
    A complete overhaul of the operating system to a new version to fix a web browser issue is akin to junking a car for a flat tire.

Window 10 uses Edge as their browser and the latest version doesn't let you download a good copy of Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Chrome is a separate program, and has nothing to do with Windows other than it runs within it (for now, until MS decides to disallow anything but Edge).
    A complete overhaul of the operating system to a new version to fix a web browser issue is akin to junking a car for a flat tire.
    Continuing to run with Windows 7 is not the best decision. Windows 10 works great but if you ant to continue with Windows 7 for a while longer, keep in mind that it will no longer be supported by MS in the not to distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Window 10 uses Edge as their browser and the latest version doesn't let you download a good copy of Chrome
    That's odd: on my machine, both W10 and Chrome report that they are up to date, and seem to be working fine together.

FYI, it's a Microsoft Surface Book: if MS was going to do anything restrictive regarding 3rd-party apps, you'd think this machine would be the first to hear about it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Continuing to run with Windows 7 is not the best decision. Windows 10 works great but if you ant to continue with Windows 7 for a while longer, keep in mind that it will no longer be supported by MS in the not to distant future.
    I am using win7 and have no problems at the moment although I am using Firefox which works well. Give firefox a try and you may like it.
    What I do not like about MS products is how buggy and bad they are in the beginning which is why I avoid win 10 like the plague. When MS tells me its all over for win 7 then maybe....

To each his own, but Windows 10 takes away any freedom of choice for me. You can't avoid updates, even the last one that was deleting massive amounts of user data, or being forced to keep things like Xbox installed and up to date. I'm fully aware of the EOL for Windows 7, just as I'm aware of how few actual security updates there have been for it over the past few years. I know it won't remain secure forever, but with no new "features", less chance of new mistakes that open holes, I'd say.

There may come a day when I can't use Win7, but it's not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    What I do not like about MS products is how buggy and bad they are in the beginning which is why I avoid win 10 like the plague.
    You do realize Win10 has been out for over 3 years at this point, right?

Apr 17, 2018 - Now It's Window 7's Turn. Recently, Microsoft announced the end of life for its popular Windows 7 product. That end of life date is January 14, 2020. Currently, Windows 7 is in use by nearly 70% of businesses worldwide.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott