Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the stuff you can put on jointer and planers, etc that helps stock.....

What is the stuff you can put on jointer and planers, etc that helps stock.....

....run smoother across it. It's a wax of some kind but I dont remember what called.

Thanks.

Boeshield T-9, Johnson's paste floor wax. I use Johnson's. Whatever you use, make sure it's silicone free.
    Chuck Taylor

I use Glide Coat, which i think used to be called Top Coat.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use Minwax finishing wax
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Johnson's on all my cast table tops, both for the anti-rust and slickum properties. Same on some of the hand tools like saws and plane soles.
    David

I use Boeshield T-9 with good results. It's easy to put on and wipes clean leaving a good coat on the table. I think sprays are easier to apply than paste wax, but it's possible they don't last quite as long. A reminder, make sure whatever you use doesn't contain silicone. It will leave a residue on the wood. I have heard that GlideCote is also very good, but more expensive.

Wipe a squiggle of canning/paraffin/candle wax on the tables when it needs a bit of lubrication.

Glossary.
    Squiggle is an S or Z shaped line.

Blog Entries
    I apply Johnson paste wax with an 0000 steel wool pad to all my cast iron surfaces. It cleans off any light rust and bits of glue. I rub down the wax as soon as I have scrubbed the entire top surface.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Glidecoat for rust protection then a couple of coats of Johnsons Paste Wax for slipperiness.

I waxed my tablesaw top and track saw bottom a few weeks ago and it was a vast improvement.

When you all reapply, do you make an effort to clean off any residual or just wipe the dust off and reapply?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Mills View Post
    I waxed my tablesaw top and track saw bottom a few weeks ago and it was a vast improvement.

When you all reapply, do you make an effort to clean off any residual or just wipe the dust off and reapply?
    When you wax your tool surfaces, you do it just like you are waxing a car. Wax on / Wax Off / Buff to shine. Cleaning dust off is something that should be done much more often than waxing the surface - you don't want to re-airborn the dust if you have a chance to vacuum it up. For cleanup activities that the dust collector doesn't get, I use a shop vac with a hepa filter on it.

When you feel the surface is no longer as slick as it was, time to rewax the surface.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I apply Johnson paste wax with an 0000 steel wool pad to all my cast iron surfaces. It cleans off any light rust and bits of glue. I rub down the wax as soon as I have scrubbed the entire top surface.
    I do as Lee does.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used paste wax however I've now switched to a paste format of Gleit................Rod.

I also use Johnson's Paste Wax to lubricate the gears and ways of my table saw, joiner, table ways of my band saw, etc. It lubricates well and develops a thin dry crust that doesn't collect saw dust like petroleum lubricants do.

Charley

You will be surprised what a little baby powder will do for easier feeding of stock but no protection from rust etc.