Thread: Axel + wheel advice needed for small trailer / cart

Axel + wheel advice needed for small trailer / cart

I want to make a small portable solar kiln that I can move in and out of my workshop by myself.
    - where I rent my workspace we cannot have a trailer sitting there overnight.

I picture making a frame and plywood box about 4' wide, 10' long and 2' high, painted black.
    Just big enough to hold some timbers that I want to heat up in the sun.

I would mount this box on two axles. They obviously don't need to be heavy duty, strong enough to handle a 400 - 600 lbs load I imagine. Maybe there's something that works with smaller fatter bicycle wheels?

Has any of done something like this?
    Looking forward to some good advice! Mark

For that max weight, you really don't need dual axles. In fact, you don't want dual axles. They just add weight. Look on Harbor Freight. They have a foldable 4 x 8 trailer. You could easily put a floor on it that is 10' long. Then, make whatever kind of box you want.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I think your estimated weight is off unless you are putting dry wood in the kiln. If green it could be a ton.

Is this going to be a roadworthy trailer or just a cart you can pull in and out of the shop? Are there any thresholds, smooth or rough pavement, gravel? If smooth then good 6" cast iron wheeled casters will work. If rougher or softer then you'll need bigger wheels. Do you have a machine to pull it with, like a forklift or ridenon garden tractor? I wouldn't trust bicycle wheels, maybe motorcycle wheels.

If you're anywhere near farm country, look for a used farm wagon. Many of them are just flat beds with one fixed axle and one pivot axle. They come in all sizes....

Thanks everyone for your input.

This will not be a trailer that goes on the street, it will be a cart that I pull by hand for 20 yards, with not that much weight inside. Pretty simple, pretty basic.
    So I think some of the fat bicycle wheels are more than strong enough. I've found a few ideas by google, if I end up making something usable I'll come back and post a photo or two.