Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving my Tack Trunks to CNC

Moving my Tack Trunks to CNC

Now that I'm figuring this CNC thing out, I finally started to move my high-end equestrian tack trunk cutting to the fancy-schmanc yellow machine and cut out the first set of parts today for a new commission. I'm already "in love", my friends. It was also the first time I used a compression bit at full thickness. "Like Butta", as the saying goes.

Each half-sheet of components took about 10-12 minutes to cut and even considering I was doing the setups the first time, I used a fraction of the time it took to do this with my slider because of the weight and physical size challenges I have with slinging full sheets onto the wagon. I use nominal 1/2" domestic furniture grade veneer plywood for the general cases and while it's a lot less heavy than 3/4" material, it's still heavy, relatively speaking. Setting up for the next commission will only take a few minutes.

I did make some minor size adjustments when I was converting components into VCarvePro to allow for material holding since I don't have vacuum, but I"m fine with the "waste" since I can cut some of it up for incidental use in these projects and for other ones. Using the CNC also allowed me to pocket out cleanly for the road-case style handles I use rather than cutting through the case to install them. That right there is a major appearance upgrade.

I still have one more half-sheet to cut, but two of the lid components that go on that file really require me to assemble the case to insure that I have the measurements spot-on for this first time around. I can sorta do it with math, but for strength reasons, I want it exact.

Here are a few photos that prove I did the deed.

IMG_2766.jpg IMG_2767.jpg IMG_2768.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fantastic Jim.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The is year 10 for me for owning my CNC router. Can't hardly remember the shop before it. Folks that hate them have most likely never used a good one.

Bolting on a diode laser onto mine now too. That and 4th are my next upgrades.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Sweet! I see a vacuum system in your not too distant future.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Sweet! I see a vacuum system in your not too distant future.
    I'm thinking about it, but so far, it's hard to come up with the justification to put out the $2500 or so that it will cost me to do it...I'll have to see how things ramp up.
    --

You can get into it for for under $1500 using the Storm vac.
    If I were going to do cnc for profit and did sheet goods it would be a no brainer for me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What are the specs on the compression bit, feed, and speed, Jim? I cut my Longworth chucks out of 1/2" Baltic Birch that I sell on Etsy and am using a 1/4" downcut spiral at 0.20" depth of cut. I've considered getting a compression bit and trying this in one pass but have yet to do so.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Check out the Shopbot forum about using Fein vacuums. I have 2 on my 4 x 8 table and they do work very good. With both running you can still carry on a conversation not like the Storm and they are 110 not like the Storm. I have had mine for over 10 years now. You can add to them if you need to also and the price is about half a Storm. In fact the Storm came about using replacement motors for the Feins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You can get into it for for under $1500 using the Storm vac.
    If I were going to do cnc for profit and did sheet goods it would be a no brainer for me.
    The Storm is marginally too small for my 49"x49" machine...I need the Cyclone for best effect which is two grand plus accoutrements. I absolutely agree that it's worth the investment for doing profitable work, but I have to see if the revenue stream kicks up enough to justify it over the "big bucks" I've already put out to start the business up. The pot is dry right now and the financial market behavior lately isn't helping. The few extra minutes to clamp down with shop-made fixtures and screws doesn't conflict with my work flow...as noted, I can only really build no more than two of these things concurrently.

Jerome, I'll certainly take a look at the idea of the Fein vacs, but I'm less worried about noise because if I do go vacuum, the unit will be in my DC/Compressor closet that is sound treated, not under the machine.

David, I used a 1/4" compression bit. That one happened to have come from Southeastern Tool, but there are many options out there. I ran it at only 200ipm, which while isn't "fast" was "more than fast enough". I got a very quality cut for one pass. I'll probably experiment with some scrap to play with some more speed/feed combinations. I used it for the handle pockets, too. REALLY clean on the bottom because of the up-cut portion (about .35" tall with crisp edges because of the remainder being down-cut.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-27-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    --

**Edited typo**

Great work Jim. Now you'll find that cutting all the sheet stock pales in comparison to what it use to. I think of this every job we cut on the CNC. A kitchens worth of boxes can be cut and assembled in a half day to a day when it would have taken me alone a monster marathon day alone just to break down the sheets on the slider with no dado'd or construction boring and shelf holes.

As you keep saying, it gets you to start to try to think of how to put any and every operation possible on the cnc if it can be done reasonably efficiently. Even when we have some tasks that maybe could be faster off the CNC we will run them just because we can be doing other stuff.

Cant **beat** a successful first go... congrats.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 10-27-2018 at 2:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Jim...
    at first glance I was wondering why you would: "Move my tacky trucks to CNC!"
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The Storm is marginally too small for my 49"x49" machine...I need the Cyclone for best effect which is two grand plus accoutrements. I absolutely agree that it's worth the investment for doing profitable work, but I have to see if the revenue stream kicks up enough to justify it over the "big bucks" I've already put out to start the business up. The pot is dry right now and the financial market behavior lately isn't helping. The few extra minutes to clamp down with shop-made fixtures and screws doesn't conflict with my work flow...as noted, I can only really build no more than two of these things concurrently.

Jerome, I'll certainly take a look at the idea of the Fein vacs, but I'm less worried about noise because if I do go vacuum, the unit will be in my DC/Compressor closet that is sound treated, not under the machine.

David, I used a 1/4" compression bit. That one happened to have come from Southeastern Tool, but there are many options out there. I ran it at only 200ipm, which while isn't "fast" was "more than fast enough". I got a very quality cut for one pass. I'll probably experiment with some scrap to play with some more speed/feed combinations. I used it for the handle pockets, too. REALLY clean on the bottom because of the up-cut portion (about .35" tall with crisp edges because of the remainder being down-cut.
    Ball park numbers, you can DIY a less refined version of the vac boxes for about $600-800. This includes motors, electrical, box, piping, and spoil board.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Just use a real regenerative blower vac pump and relief valve. They use those vac motors bevause they make the makers of them lots of money. Do it correctly.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Jim...
    at first glance I was wondering why you would: "Move my tacky trucks to CNC!"
    ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    90% successful. I did find one "mental mistake" with the case bottom dimensions where I inadvertently subtracted material thickness from BOTH the length and width, rather than just the length per my "design". Stuff happens... It's fixed in the file for next time and I have a piece of scrap that I can use to replace the too-small one in the mean time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    **Edited typo**

Great work Jim. Now you'll find that cutting all the sheet stock pales in comparison to what it use to. I think of this every job we cut on the CNC. A kitchens worth of boxes can be cut and assembled in a half day to a day when it would have taken me alone a monster marathon day alone just to break down the sheets on the slider with no dado'd or construction boring and shelf holes.

As you keep saying, it gets you to start to try to think of how to put any and every operation possible on the cnc if it can be done reasonably efficiently. Even when we have some tasks that maybe could be faster off the CNC we will run them just because we can be doing other stuff.

It's killing me. My router won't be up and running until probably the beginning of December. I can't get a tech out any earlier to do start up.