Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Veritas 40th Anniversary Dual Marking Gauge and Les Outil Cullens Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence munninghoff View Post
    How do you like the 40th anniversary dual marking gauge those of you who have one?
    Santa (SWMBO) bought me one for Christmas. My Titemark was always my goto, but this new gauge has surpassed it. It can be used as a single or dual, and though it does not have the micro adjust feature of the Titemark, I do not miss that feature at all. IMO, this gage is a bargain at the price.

By the way Santa also brought me one of the pencil holding gages, described as having issues with finish, etc. I like it, and mine didn't have anything wrong with the appearance. Regardless, one day on my bench would have it scratched, dented and painted splattered!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I agree that it is a bargain for the price. I bought the stainless steel one and sold my old veritas mortise gauge. The SS one feels a lot better made and machined, down to the shaft clamp on it.

I also did get les outils cullens gauge, but I am less than impressed by it for the price. It doesnt lock square, and the brass components rattle around a bit. In addition, the cutters came unsharpened and in pretty rough shape. For the price, I expected a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    It's pretty, but, really, what's the magic of this design?
    I'm with you Bill. I had the brass version of this gauge and bought it on the personal recommendation of Jeff Miller. I just could not get used to the eccentric location of of the rods in the head. The off-center mass of it made want to rotate and take control of the scribing, while I preferred to be in control of that. I also found the second rod to constantly be in the way. I was good for laying out mortises, but that wasn't enough utility to outweigh the Tite-Mark's features
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 01-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.