Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Veritas 40th Anniversary Dual Marking Gauge and Les Outil Cullens Gauges

New Veritas 40th Anniversary Dual Marking Gauge and Les Outil Cullens Gauges

Just noticed Rob Lee has been up to more of his evil plans to, you know, part us with our money (and our partners as a result):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...41&cat=51&ap=1

It just looks so nice and hefty...and so stainless

Also, they seem to be carrying the marking gauges from Les Outil Cullens, though they dont mention them by name. I remember seeing these on thebestthings and wishing they were easier to find in Canada.

Shhhh Hasin, the less people know the more chances I have of acquiring this one weeks later! The stainless gauge is very very pretty, would instantly become a daily tool for me. If I can get my grubby hands on it that is.

And to add to this, I believe free shipping starts today.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It's all part of Rob's elaborate plan!

5. What perfect timing, I've been watching the North Bennet Street School toolbox project on Finewoodworking recently and lusting over the marking gauge that was being used in the project. Had no idea of the maker or how to search for one similar. Turns out it's a Les Outils. Now, do I need another gauge is the question...

Blog Entries
    Does it come with a divorce lawyer?

I’m in. Ordering tomorrow.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Just in case someone doesn't notice the link is to the Canadian site (makes sense since the OP is in Canada) the US price is $69.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks Hasin, Mike, and Van. The three of you talked me into it. Rob should give you at least a small commission.

It's pretty, but, really, what's the magic of this design?

Bill, it looks a lot like this6A9FEE1A-6007-4374-AE51-4405D87AEBC3.jpeg, a Stanley 91. I have one, and I can say I’ve used it a few times, but I don’t chop a lot of mortises by hand. I’m sure Rob’s people have improved on the original.

Bill, apparently, the twin rods with cutters do a better job of marking out a mortise outline than a wheel cutter with a double cutter in place. Typically, the double cutter type does not do a good job on marking both sides of the mortise (marks the near side well, but the off side is faint) and the twin rod type is supposed to mark both sides of the mortise equally. Resident Oz Derek C has long crowed about his one-off or limited run twin rod wheel gauge in SS that he got from Rob Lee years ago and it may be that Rob has decided to re issue this tool as a result of Derek's recomendation. I have not used a twin rod type, but do testify that the double cutter wheel style marking gauge does take some extra care in use to get acceptable results when marking out mortises.
    David

Hi David

Few mixed up points here ..

I have the dual marking gauge, but I purchased this some while ago - it is freely available on the LV site. The new SS version looks great, but I doubt that I will purchase it as the brass version is enough. Only need one.

The wheel gauge that I have been so thrilled with is the SS single beam gauge that came out several years ago as an anniversary model. I purchased two, and they are among my favourites. This gauge has now been re-issued, but in brass and with the fine adjuster. Mine came courtesy of pre-production testing for Lee Valley. I like it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sorry Derek, I thought your rare ish SS version gauge was the double rod type. I do remember that you always stated it was a keeper and that the SS version was not currently available. Your association with LV has resulted in some good tool reviews as well as tool use insights that I believe many of us read with interest. Always interested in the writeups.
    David

How do you like the 40th anniversary dual marking gauge those of you who have one?