Thread: Shmoe?

Shmoe?

This is driving me nuts.

My young kids had an inflatable plastic punching bag that was shaped kind of like a seal. Weighted at the bottom, it popped back up after being punched. I think it was called a Shmoe, kind of like 'Joe Shmoe', but I am not sure.

It runs in my mind that there was a Shmoe character on the 'Lil Abner' comic strips that were in the newspapers at the time (late 60's), and the bag was styled after him (it?).

Anyone remember these, or am I off the rails, over the edge, or just plain senile?

I remember it being fun, but it has gone the way of the cap gun.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

No your not yes the Shmoe was in Lil Abner and also they had a punching bag. One of my nephews had one

Is this what you are remembering guys? SHMOO LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yup. I had one as a kid. It beat me up just like the other kids.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is Shmoo. We had a pink ceramic one when I was a kid that I liked. Fast forward about 50 years & my mom gave it to me, a couple of years before she passed. Ugliest thing you've ever seen, but I love it.

Blog Entries
    You can't get Schmoo anymore that I saw.

but see link below. They plenty of boppy bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bozo.../dp/B00067TAWG

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    You can't get Schmoo anymore that I saw.

but see link below. They plenty of boppy bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bozo.../dp/B00067TAWG
    Somehow Schmoo must have been deemed really offensive in today's society, so they were forced to change it to boppy bag.

Thanks very much guys. Frederick nailed it. I had no idea what a cultural icon it was in the 40's. I first saw it in the 60's, and they must have been rerunning old comic strips, because that is where I first saw it.

In the 50's we had Sadie Hawkins high school dances, and my daughter says they still had them in the early 80's. This was also from the comic strip.

She also remembers the Shmoo bopper.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Kinda funny I saw this, today while watching a rerun of MASH, an episode about Schmoe from Lil Abner was on.

Only fair to mention the "Nogoodniks" . They are the evil opposite of the Shmoos.