Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a Spindle & VFD

Thanks Gary, thats what I was suspecting... just needed an Expert to confirm.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Mach (I use Mach4) will display the commanded speed. My very inexpensive Huanyang VFD displays the actual speed. I use PWM speed control and it is accurate enough for me. For example 12,000 commanded -> 12,080 actual.
    Mach has a tach input if you want to add an index mark on your spindle shaft and an appropriate sensor. You can then add an additional on screen DRO with actual speed.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

I would think the VFD at least the ones I have used in the past, would only display the actual Frequency / Hertz. But I do have an photo tachometer I could calibrate the Mach display with. Thanks Richard.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-13-2018 at 8:25 AM.

Bill...
    Most of the VFD's can display in RPM if set to do so. In some cases it requires display as freq times user variable. On most this will be a decimal variation of 60. ".06" is one I use most often. In my example rpm is then displayed as "15.6" for 15600 rpm

Some VFD's need to be set to that display mode each time they are fired up.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

So here is the issue now. Using a CNCRP Plug and Play prewired control panel and system, with NEMA34 motors. All fine now installed and wired the Hitachi W200 VFD and spindle motor. Setting up the control panel Mach3 configuration for the new drive and VFD. I can get a RUN signal to the VFD the led comes on but No spindle speed or operation. The controller uses a Ethernet ESS controller. I am using H (10 vdc source ) O (0-10 vdc in) L (for Gnd logic). I am trying to find out IF the ESS outputs a true PWM signal or is it converted to 0-10 vdc. So far an email to CNCRP has not been answered.

IF its a true PWM signal then A001 needs to be set at Pulse Train (06) input and I need to be on EA input terminal not O for 0-10 vdc.

The other big question is Mach3 set up correctly.... it is by their instruction PDF but is it correct?
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-19-2018 at 5:19 PM.

I am using Mach4 not 3, but I had to set up 2 separate pins, one for spindle on, and another for spindle forward (clockwise). The latter goes to a relay that is wired across two pins on the VFD that trigger clockwise rotation and is actually the signal that starts my spindle when the relay is triggered and just provides continuity between the 2 pins.

How are you trying to test? Use the MDI to run a command with both a start and speed command like “M03 S12000” , I don’t know if you can click on the “spindle on” button of the Mach3 display.

David Faulkner uses a Hitachi VFD, have you looked at the wiring diagram he has in his build posting?
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Richard I have put the project aside until after the first of the year. Zero info on the BoB in the prewired control box and it does work fine with the Hitachi router. So spindle and VFD put away for now. I got the Info from CNCRP that I needed on the BoB and interface so moving forward.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-21-2018 at 5:11 PM.