Thread: calling an audible

calling an audible

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gotten pretty far down the road on a project and had something happen to make you change the design. And a lot of the times it is probably someone who wants to add or change his or her mind. Or might be a slip of the chisel, a wrong measurement, etc. So if you have a creative ad-lib, how about sharing it.

Here's a box I made for the LOML Our Lab died a year ago and she wanted a simple walnut box with a "single greeene and greene thing" and I should not hide the joints. So I get it done, with a wide rabbit for the top to be glued to the rails, and show it to her. "Where are the little black squares?" And back to the shop I go. Show it to her again. "Aren't there supposed to be black swoops on the top too?" And back I go. Now, the top was made with the very last piece of this particular walnut that I got from a guy down the street, so I couldn't make another one. So I glued on some ebony eyebrows. Showed it again. She liked it. Success. Not a particularly elegant or great box, but I think a pretty decent "audible".
    20181024_115118-7.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Pretty good on-the-fly designing Bill. Looks good from here.
    David

Blog Entries
    It looks good from here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bill, if I posted every project where I had introduced a 'design opportunity' I'd violate some file size rule - in short pretty much 90% of my finished projects do not turn out like the design I had when I started. It's true that my primary customer (wife) has contributed her fair share to that, but honestly, many of them are my own.

Great looking box, I like the design additions. Sorry to hear about your lab...that is a rough thing.

Jeff

I made what was otherwise a really nice Stickley inspired style cabinet for a guy to house his AV equipment.

When I was cleaning out the waste in the bowtie mortises in the lower doors the bit slipped in the router's collet and plunged through and out the inside of the door panel. I didn't have anymore QS oak to match so I couldn't make a new panel. This was my solution for the inside.

John

“Swoops,” so that’s what those are called. . Nice recovery, nice job!

nice one John - was meant to be there.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

No raised eyebrows from me. Lookin' good.
    I think those little Easter Eggs are the best part. Every one of my projects has one. Over time, I forget that I didn't mean to do them.

My new motto:

We be not sorry; we be wabi sabi