Thread: Hedge trimmer blade sharpening

Hedge trimmer blade sharpening

I have a 18V Makita hedge trimmer that is absolutely wonderful. Alas the blade is becoming dull and I cannot find any outfit that sharpens hedge trimmer blades. Does anyone here at SMC have any information about a sharpening service? (A new blade is 2/3 the cost of a new complete trimmer.)

Blog Entries
    That sounds like something you may have to get comfortable somewhere and do yourself.

Check your phone book for anyone near you that may still do lawnmower and other repairs call them. If they don't do it they may know someone who does.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just use a small smooth file, and hit the top parts of the bevels.

I freely admit to being lazy in this area and the thought of filing each little blade creates the same amount of joy that hand planing wood does when a power planer is nearby. Will try a local shop for info and also noticed that Forest offers this service.

Nothing like as tedious as sharpening a handsaw. Probably about the same amount of work as sharpening a chainsaw chain. It only takes a few seconds per tooth.