Thread: Upgrading motor on old Homecraft/Delta 10" bandsaw for occasional resawing

Upgrading motor on old Homecraft/Delta 10" bandsaw for occasional resawing

I have one of those old cast-iron Homecraft/Delta 10" bandsaws. It is heavy and well-built. Has served me well in my small basement shop.

I've even used it for light resawing work since it has a 6" saw height opening and can take a 1/2" blade. Only problem is that the 1/3 hp motor really struggles when resawing a hard wood like maple or oak. Struggles so much it binds up and stops.

On a whim, I used a 20% coupon at Harbor Freight to pick up a 1hp motor (haven't opened it yet). $125.

I've read on other threads that this saw isn't cut out for resawing work. Understand that if you're doing a ton of resawing, obviously not. But for occasional resawing-- with a stronger motor, why not? Would I be foolish in putting a $125 1hp motor on this tool with the expectation that I can occasionally resaw 6" of hard maple?

Blog Entries
    I would be more tempted to buy a 2-3 TPI blade and try that first. If that met my occasional use I would stop there. If not, forge ahead and you still have a new blade for resawing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The lower axle on that saw runs in oilite bronze bearings and the tracking mechanism is pot metal. (I have one in my collection of 10” bandsaws) There is no way that I’d run it with one hp or a 1/2” blade; it’s just not built for that duty. 1/2 hp and a 3/8”x 4 tpi blade is as far as I think I would stretch it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I would be more tempted to buy a 2-3 TPI blade and try that first. If that met my occasional use I would stop there. If not, forge ahead and you still have a new blade for resawing.
    I agree with this advise. Low number of teeth to clear the kerf and a slow steady cut will do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    The lower axle on that saw runs in oilite bronze bearings and the tracking mechanism is pot metal. (I have one in my collection of 10” bandsaws) There is no way that I’d run it with one hp or a 1/2” blade; it’s just not built for that duty. 1/2 hp and a 3/8”x 4 tpi blade is as far as I think I would stretch it.
    Thanks. And by running too strong of a motor-- in cases of stress a weaker motor would bind up rather than transferring increased force to these underprovisioned parts on the bandsaw?

Honestly my only need is the very occasional resaw of a single board.

Perhaps a 1/2 hp motor gives me the extra oomph I need.

The original manual states that max blade width is 1/2".

I really don't have the space for a huge bandsaw. But perhaps I should upgrade to a 14" bandsaw...not sure I get a big increase in resaw capability with a 14" though...