Thread: Newbie here...with a Jet WS3-3 shaper qustion

Newbie here...with a Jet WS3-3 shaper qustion

Glad to join the group.A little background,I have a small boat shop and restore small (up to 26') wood boats.We also have a few unique glass boats,but mainly wood.We do a couple of boats a year,mostly our own stuff which we sell.Doing a 1955 Chris Craft Holiday 18' right now and just finished a 16' Century Resorter 16'.Any how we are accumulating a decent wood shop and prefer to get decent old machinery and rehab it for our use.Current machine in question is a Jet WS3-3 shaper.Wondering if there are any spindles available that will fit this machine.I have a 1" and would like to get a couple of different sizes.Jet says it's obsolete and are no help. We also have a 1930's vintage tilt table Tennewicz 18" table saw.It's a beast,5hp direct drive.I'm not an experienced woodworker,more like a retired guy that found a new hobby.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-25-2018 at 5:09 PM. Reason: changed the title

Hi Charles,

I’m not going to be much use in answering your question. I’m sure someone will be by soon with some useful information. I just wanted to say, Welcome to the Creek!

-Andrew Nemeth

Hi Charles,
    Welcome.
    Can't help with the jet either.
    I worked in a fibreglass boatbuilding shop for a couple of years, back in the seventies, and outfitted a couple of wooden boats.
    The tilting table saw must be a thrill to use. never used one myself. most of my machines are much more modern ( 1950's) gotta love the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Hi Charles,

I’m not going to be much use in answering your question. I’m sure someone will be by soon with some useful information. I just wanted to say, Welcome to the Creek!

-Andrew Nemeth
    Same here. Welcome Charles! I'd love to see some pics of your boats. (HINT )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the creek. Take a look at the boat building forum where they talk about things related to boat building.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hello again,

I was surprised to see you have not received any comments directed toward your initial question, then I noticed the title of this thread is “newbie”. You may want to repost your question and title the thread “Jet shaper help needed” or “Jet WS3-3 Shaper Question”. It will likely attract more attention to those in the know.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Blog Entries
    Can't help other than to say it's a unique spindle that I haven't seen before. Finding others in different sizes will be difficult.

https://www.oellasawandtool.com/prod...roduct_id=3090
    jet_wss3_033B-10__33828_zoom.jpg

Hello Charles and welcome! Sounds like you do neat stuff.

You may have to take your spindle out and take it to a machinist to have it reproduced for a larger bore size. Your shaper is a relatively light machine so you'll want to be mindful of how big a block you put on there.

What type of work do you expect to do with the machine?

Cheers,

Brent

Depending on how many spindles you need it may be cheaper to sell the Jet and buy another shaper that uses standard spindles that are still available to buy.
    Bil lD

Thanks for the info on the spindles for my Jet shaper,I'll just work with the current spindle and use 1" or 1-1/4" and bushings.Somebody mentioned pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqxeAcs17eUvRjEt5

These are really random,some of the recent completed projects (19' 1955 Century Resorter with the wide bow and a 1954 16" Century Resorter.A 1956 18" Chris Craft Holiday 18' I'm working on now,a few shots of the messy shop.Speaking of the shop,we rent space in the foundry building where all of the Chris Craft hardware was made.They made marine castings for a lot of other brands too,Algonac Cast Products.They are still a working foundry making marine hardware.

That looks like interesting work Charles. I can't remember the name of it, but I watched a show on YouTube where the guy built a skiff from scratch. Totally different set of skills and knowledge than cabinetry