Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: festool trade up - why so complicated? why not just straight discount?

festool trade up - why so complicated? why not just straight discount?

I'm sure everyone has seen the latest festool promotion - buy one item on a list of stuff (track saws, routers), and then register for a Fedex label to send in an old tool, and get a $100 card back. It's awful complicated. Why bother with paying for Fedex labels, receive a bunch of junk (after all, one can just send in anything - a screwdriver, a tape measure, a broken whatever), and then give away the $100 purchasing card? Why not just offer a $100 temporary price drop on the aforementioned set of tools and be done with it? What am I missing?

Handing out the cards likely fits better into their "no discounting" policies and also means that the retailer doesn't take the hit on the rebate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why?

Marketing gimmick.

Anyone can come with up any reasons or explanations for the promotion arranged in that manner. But it does not change the fact that it sought to encourage discussions among those interested in the offer and those who aren't.

A corporation can always make exceptions to its pricing policy without any negative effects on the retailers or customers if it wishes to as long as they are not illegal.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 10-24-2018 at 5:18 PM.

Maybe they figure that only some percentage of people will actually follow through and mail in their tool, and get their card. I have heard that about mail-in rebates but don't know if it's true.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Maybe they figure that only some percentage of people will actually follow through and mail in their tool, and get their card. I have heard that about mail-in rebates but don't know if it's true.
    Zach
    This was my thought as well.

I'm just pissed that the Domino wasn't included. I guess they sell all of those that they care to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Zach
    You don't know enough about Festool fans. Go to their forum and you'll find out how much discussion went on just about what qualified as a trade-up tool. These guys were EXCITED when the trade-up offer came out. If they did not plan to go through the whole process, they wouldn't waste their time trying to learn everything about the trade-up event.

When the PRO5 sanders came out, they sold out in no time. Did you know the PRO5 came with a discount coupon ($50?), and when those coupons were offered free by their owners, they were quickly taken as soon as they were posted? Festool fans are unlike the ordinary power tool users. They would jump through loops to get a good deal (even if it is not really a good one).

By the way, many of them include a list of Festool tools in their possession in their signature lines. Some read like a vendor's catalog listing!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 10-24-2018 at 3:54 PM.

Because the Domino Joiner is available from them only. No need to offer any discount and people who want it have no where else to get it. Second-hand Domino joiners always go sold as soon as they are listed on their forum.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    By the way, many of them include a list of Festool tools in their possession in their signature lines. Some read like a vendor's catalog listing!

Simon
    Simon
    This is common on many online forums. I see it on chainsaw forums, tractor forums, and others I visit.

I suspect though, it is as previously pointed out, a marketing gimmick. It is a little bit of a hassle to go through for a hundred bucks and not everyone is going to do it.
    Still though, a hundred bucks, is a hundred bucks.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

What excites the FOG forum is strange. I tried asking questions about a few tools there prior to a possible purchase and got insulted for doing so, so I abandoned my account.

In my area, some random dude must have bought up all the locally available PRO5 units, as I couldn't find one anywhere, and he had maybe a dozen of them on CL for stupid markup. Moved them all too.

You don't know enough about Festool fans. Go to their forum and you'll find out how much discussion went on just about what qualified as a trade-up tool. These guys were EXCITED when the trade-up offer came out. If they did not plan to go through the whole process, they wouldn't waste their time trying to learn everything about the trade-up event.

When the PRO5 sanders came out, they sold out in no time. Did you know the PRO5 came with a discount coupon ($50?), and when those coupons were offered free by their owners, they were quickly taken as soon as they were posted? Festool fans are unlike the ordinary power tool users. They would jump through loops to get a good deal (even if it is not really a good one).

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Simon
    This is common on many online forums. I see it on chainsaw forums, tractor forums, and others I visit.

I suspect though, it is as previously pointed out, a marketing gimmick. It is a little bit of a hassle to go through for a hundred bucks and not everyone is going to do it.
    Still though, a hundred bucks, is a hundred bucks.
    True as you observed with some forums about listing out their collections. But I haven't seen many Dewalt or Makita or Bosch owners doing the same or as consistently as those Festool folks. You can almost feel the "pride" those owners attach to their tools.

So $100 is enough a carrot for them to jump loops (if the previous $50 coupons were a guide). Remember, they only need to send even a paper clip as a trade-up tool in a prepaid envelope and drop it off to get back $100. Easy money especially if you have had that router or plunge saw on your wish list since last Christmas.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I'm just pissed that the Domino wasn't included. I guess they sell all of those that they care to.
    I feel your pain; I wanted a MFT.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    What excites the FOG forum is strange. I tried asking questions about a few tools there prior to a possible purchase and got insulted for doing so, so I abandoned my account.

In my area, some random dude must have bought up all the locally available PRO5 units, as I couldn't find one anywhere, and he had maybe a dozen of them on CL for stupid markup. Moved them all too.
    I know what you are talking about. Every negative word about Festool is received with suspicions and even resentment. Some of them have been almost "brainwashed" (I don't know how), and always insist that the Festool service will fix everything to your satisfaction even when the guy said he had heard nothing back by phone or by email. But unlike here, they seldom lock or (never?) remove/delete a thread. I don't think they have ever locked out/barred a member from posting for good, even in the case where the poster kept challenging the moderator endlessly.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 10-24-2018 at 5:04 PM.

True as you observed with some forums about listing out their collections. But I haven't seen many Dewalt or Makita or Bosch owners doing the same or as consistently as those Festool folks. You can almost feel the "pride" those owners attach to their tools.
    They have pride in their tools. Although great tools, they aren't good enough to justify the price; if they didn't feel pride, they would feel like suckers.

I have a Kapex, circular saw, jigsaw, domino, and 3 sanders; but didn't pay full price for any of them. I couldn't have lived with myself at full price. I also had a vacuum, but my wife made me get rid of it because she said it filled the house with a high pitched shriek. Made a profit on it, even after I gave the reason I was selling it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Made a profit on it, even after I gave the reason I was selling it. Go figure.
    Been in a similar boat when I sold some of the Festool stuff. Interestingly, they keep increasing the prices annually, and several years later, you could almost sell your old Festool machines at the same prices you paid for them. Better than renting! No joking. Could be one of the reasons why some of us are willing to pay a premium. Of course, the Domino joiners are an exception as you have got no better alternatives from any other brands.

Simon