Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing workbench construction

I'm totally going to steal ideas from your old bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I'm totally going to steal ideas from your old bench.
    Not a proper bench. More like two pieces of plywood laminated together hung in the middle of nowhere. I can make some photos if you want, will be glad to share details.

I also would make it a bit different if I have to, like mount end vise a bit lower to allow more clearance for the rods and make wooden jaws thicker on the top. Mount both vises in a sturdier way, so end vise won't move away from bench and face vise won't rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    When you go to a freestanding bench you are going to miss the stability the walls provided. Planing will make it move around unless it is pretty heavy. You might want to keep it clamped to the walls most of the time.

An apron will not be needed to strengthen a 4" top. You could just attach the legs like a big chair. Expansion problems solved.
    Tom,

A properly designed and constructed bench will not move even if much lighter than a full on Roubo. There should be no need to attach the bench to the wall unless you just want it that way.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Tom,

A properly designed and constructed bench will not move even if much lighter than a full on Roubo. There should be no need to attach the bench to the wall unless you just want it that way.

ken
    This made me wonder about the Sjobeg bench in my shop and its propensity to walk across the room when planing along its length. Then the term "properly designed and constructed" resonated. The walking was cured with a 5 gallon bucket and a bag of cement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This made me wonder about the Sjobeg bench in my shop and its propensity to walk across the room when planing along its length. Then the term "properly designed and constructed" resonated. The walking was cured with a 5 gallon bucket and a bag of cement.

jtk
    Jim,

BTW, a good design element ,

ken

Preparing for the bench build and trying drawbore mortise and tenon. That's the first (saw) bench glue up for me, phew...
    IMG_20181107_184809.jpg
    Last edited by Alexander Zagubny; 11-07-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Zagubny View Post
    Preparing for the bench build and trying drawbore mortise and tenon. That's the first bench glue up for me, phew...
    IMG_20181107_184809.jpg
    Alexander,

Yep, working bench sized timber can be a workout,

ken

When I stacked up my wood, I discovered that I missed some parts required for the bench, including vise leg or vise chop. The best option I can have now is to glue up one of them from combination of European oak and white oak. I thought about resawing piece of white oak and making a white - European - white oak sandwich to equalize moisture exchange. However I will need to have about 20 inches long groove for criss-cross that will go through the white oak layer and expose internals.

Does that sound like I should make another trip and buy missing plank or I'm too concerned about possible difference in wood shrinkage between species? Radial vs tangential difference is much more (1.9) compared to white vs European (1.2) and grain orientation is not consistent on European one.

I cannot identify European oak, the closest are holm and English oak: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-f...ope&fwp_name=O
    White oak is probably that one: https://www.wood-database.com/white-oak/
    IMG_20181107_195718.jpg
    Last edited by Alexander Zagubny; 11-07-2018 at 12:22 PM.

IMG_20181124_145333 (1).jpgIMG_20181201_131941.jpgIMG_20181201_170104.jpg

I finally restored old saw I have laying around for a while. It has relatively coarse teeth and I sharpened it rip-cut. It turned out to be very comfortable, light and versatile. Handle is lovely and worn out where index finger lays, plate was rusty and has through holes near and under the handle.
    I was so excited about how the first rip cut felt that went crazy and ripped all 6 boards. Will probably regret that tomorrow

Alexander, If you ripped all of those boards in one day, you must be awful young, strong and be in the shape of an Olympian athlete. From the looks of your desire and determination you are going to produce an outstanding bench for sure.

Thanks, Michael!
    I hope to build nice bench that I will enjoy using.