Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow Tie Keys

Ed I haven't used their inlay kits but I have bought and used their Katana router bits. Here's link on how to use their inlay kit: https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...atterns_anchor Go to the top of the page and select Video...then watch it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Looks good. What is the trick when starting the cut for the inlay? That looks like the most difficult part.
    You would use a plunge router. Remember to really hug that template because if you stray from the template, you are eating into the key, not the waste. For myself, I wouldn't cut quite all the way through. Leave a 32nd or so and cut the last bit with a knife and sand it away. Also remember to fashion a handle to remove the key for the fitting process. You don't want it getting stuck. Then you would have to either poke it from behind or use an x-acto to pry it out. You might make a little handle and hot melt glue it to the key. You're going to make the key a little proud anyway so any residual glue will get sanded off.

MLCS Woodworking. There are other brands. I used to use this one.

you can easily make your own templates out of ply or MDF..you can therefore make any shape and any size. Use the kits available with the brass bushings, 1/8th bit, etc. Works perfectly.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY BRINKMAN View Post
    Who is Mics
    MLCS, but, like any product, there are varying levels of quality.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made up my own templates in various sizes for the keys and the mortises, simple task. Perfection every time.