Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Tie Keys

Bow Tie Keys

Any suggestions as to the best way to make bow tie keys? I just made a practice one and it didn’t come out too well. Is it worth getting the template from Rockler?

What went wrong?

Routing out the mortise came out sloppy. Did it free hand as was done on several YouTube tutorials.

I make the bow tie first, adjust it in place an scribe the piece onto the surface with a knife. Because of my eyesight, I also make sure to fill the kerf with a fine tip felt pen.
    I also use a trim router to cut the majority of the waste, but keep well clear of the line.
    I then finish up with a chisel.
    Not always perfect, but I'm still practicing, and getting better.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Aaron's got the process well described. The key can be bandsawn, scrollsawn, fretsawn or whatever method you use for that sort of work. If you don't yet have a method, a router template will be fast and accurate. The kits with the template collar, alignment pin, bit and ring-spacer are pretty fool proof.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aaron describes the technique nicely.

Take light cuts with the router and it will be easier to control.

Aaron absolutely has the technique described. The router is only to remove the majority of the waste...the rest must be done by hand. While the template(s) can make things a little easier, you're limited to specific sizes and aspect ratios which may not be the best for a given project. Doing these inlays with "manual" refinement allows you complete flexibility...and the same technique applies to any shape you might want to sink into the surface, not just "bowties".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The first one you make will look like the first one you made.

practice, practice practice

Bow-Ties

I think the most important part is practice. If you do a few for practice you will develop a method that works well for you. I do not proclaim to be an expert but I'll describe my process below.

I'm not a fan of the bow-tie jig because I think they look to "machine made". If you are serious about wanting a jig though, let me know, I have one I bought and don't think I will use it again. I'd be happy to cut you a good deal.

Cut the bow-tie out of what ever stock you plan to use.

Use a sharp chisel or other method to give a very slight taper on the sides from bottom to the top.

Trace it on to the area or use a marking knife to outline your perimeter.

I use a laminate trim router with a plunge base and a 1/4" up-cut spiral bit to remove most of the waste free hand, staying 1/16-1/18 outside of the lines. Depending on the depth of the tie you might need to do this in several lifts.

Back to the sharp chisel to clean up to the line. I've found starting the chisel just inside the line works best. When you start the chisel right on the mark it will naturally expand the opening a bit.

Drive the bow-tie into the void and leave it proud to plane down later after the glue sets up.

Mlcs makes a template, bushing, and router bit kit that does it perfectly.

Any slight imperfection can be expertly hidden by a mix of glue and the chips/dusts from routing

12. Who is Mics

As Neil said above, one of the keys is to taper the bowtie slightly. Otherwise you need a perfect fit between the bowtie and the cut out for it. The other key, as several have said is practice.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY BRINKMAN View Post
    Who is Mics
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ I especially like their Katana series of bits.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ I especially like their Katana series of bits.
    Looks good. What is the trick when starting the cut for the inlay? That looks like the most difficult part.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-25-2018 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging