Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routing a juice groove in an oval cutting board

Routing a juice groove in an oval cutting board

I'm making an oval cutting board to give as a wedding gift. I'm trying to figure out how to route a juice groove so that it is perfectly concentric with the outer edge. I plan on using the three nail method to draw the oval, and I am a little concerned that the oval won't be perfectly symmetrical. My only plan is to use a round spacer to trace an offset oval around the board and cut out a template to use to register the round router base against.

Is there an easier way to cut this groove? I'm mostly concerned with cutting and smoothing a perfect concentric oval template. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Cut the groove first, set your margin with a jig of some sort to make the final size?

This is an opportunity for you to make (or buy if you must) an ellipse cutting jig. Once you have one, you will no doubt find other projects in which to use it. Use double-faced tape to stick the center of the jig to your blank, rout the perimeter, then adjust the jig and rout the juice channel.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Make a plywood ellipse a little smaller than where you want the groove. Spot glue it to your material ,you can use cardboard between them to avoid any holes from nails. Use a flute router bit and pattern bushing against pattern edge to cut groove. Remove pattern and scribe finished perimeter edge line using the groove as a guide. Bandsaw perimeter edge
    and sand.

Youtube has a few good videos on how to make a fairly simple jig that would work for cutting the circumference as well as the juice groove.

Those jigs draw a true ellipse but you still need to draw ONE line and scribe any others. If the jig is used to draw two lines they will not be equidistant at all points. I draw the smallest one with trammel then scribe out using a disk with a hole in center for pencil point. Easy to make a big door frame with glass, casings, backbands that look right until assembled!!

Why not just cut the outside and then put the fence on the router and set it at about 2” and just follow the perimeter?

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Why not just cut the outside and then put the fence on the router and set it at about 2” and just follow the perimeter?
    I would use this method. Simple and pretty foolproof.

I don’t see how that would work with a changing curve. Is there a mathematical formula that would define two concentric ovals or ellipses? I could make a jig like in the video, but how would you find the measurement between the pins that defined an oval 22” by 16.5”?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    I don’t see how that would work with a changing curve. Is there a mathematical formula that would define two concentric ovals or ellipses? I could make a jig like in the video, but how would you find the measurement between the pins that defined an oval 22” by 16.5”?

Dan
    For the perimeter, measure 11" from the (inside) edge of the bit to one pin and 8.25" for the other.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I think I would make the oval tray first. Then hot glue a rough cut oval, slightly smaller, of tempered hardboard to your tray.
    Next use a bearing guided rabbet cutter to trim the hardboard to match the perimeter of the tray, only smaller.

Then use a V-groove bit inside a pattern collar, following around the edge of the hardboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with Dan's caution. Yes,it's a cutting board. And a WEDDING GIFT.

I pictured the wrong guide collars for use with thin hardboard.
    They would need to be shallow like these:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I say your only 2 options are an elipse jig or a template.

How is going through trouble of making a template the exact same shape but smaller, and attaching the template exactly centered in all directions and using it as a guide to ride against any easier then using the outside edge as a guide? For me centering ovals is always the trickiest part of an oval. The only tricky part of using the outside edge is maintaining the router 90 degrees to the edge but it’s actually not that hard to do at all. At least not any harder then making sure your template is in the right place, the exact right shape, and your guide does the same exact thing on the inside edge.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 10-24-2018 at 9:08 PM.