Thread: Port Orford Cedar

Port Orford Cedar

Anyone know where I might be able to source some clear vertical grain Port Orford Cedar? I've tried calling half dozen or so mills in the NW and nobody seems to have any, or I can't get them to return my calls. If not, can someone recommend a good substitute? Thanks for the information!

Michael

A very difficult wood to find.
    It’s up there there’s lots of of places in Oregon that are not connected to the internet.
    They sell only in person cash only.
    How about Alaskan yellow cedar it’s pretty nice to work.
    Aj

I cut and use eastern red cedar for everything from siding to arrow shafts with good results. Carves well on the Cnc all around good wood to work with. Dan

Forgot to mention sound boards for music boxes. Tried several different wood and found the eastern red cedar to be the best of the ones I tried. Nothing scientific, just my opinion. Dan

How much are you willing to pay?

It's buyable from lutherie supply houses as a sub for spanish cypress, but expensive!!!
    I bought a stash from PALS earthsource before it closed.

Also, I know Newton and Moore has a stash in San Leandro.

Thank you for the tips guys. I talked to another wholesaler in Oregon yesterday, and his response was basically, "good luck". He said it used to be used for bleacher benches! What a waste.

I'm actually looking for Hinoki which I don't believe is available outside of Japan. It seems POC was a good substitute about 10 years ago, but seems to be just about unavailable now. I think I may check into AYC. Thank you again.

PO Cedar Source

I bought about 150 bf of PO Cedar in Oct 2015 from "Bear Creek Lumber" in Washington state. The phone number is 509-997-3110. The price was reasonable and the wood was of excellent quality. I am still using it for dresser drawer bottoms.

Good luck David

Thank you, David. I actually called Bear Creek a couple times. The guy told me he could source some, but I could never get him to call me back. Same story with a couple mills/wholesalers. I ended up ordering some Alaska Yellow Cedar instead.