Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30" dovetail ????

Blog Entries
    How about dovetail splines. The jig would be easy to make. Just make and glue a simple miter joint and then go back and cut the splines with a dovetail bit. A lot of people won’t realize it’s not a dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    How about dovetail splines. The jig would be easy to make. Just make and glue a simple miter joint and then go back and cut the splines with a dovetail bit. A lot of people won’t realize it’s not a dovetail.
    So now I'm curious about this. How does this work on an L-shaped cabinet top such as Jim is talking about? He's said he isn't mitering the corner. It's just one piece running past the other but both are rectangular.

I've done this numerous times with solid wood. Including the desk in my office. Four of those toggle bolts, (wrong term), a handful of dominos that are tight on one side, loose on the other. Except the first one is tight. No glue except on the tight fitting dominos

It's not ever going to be flawless smooth joint, even if you sand them joined. Finish will lay down differently and pucker a bit on the sharp corner.

You'll want to finish everything to keep the moisture level as consistent as possible. Hit the face of the joint as well.

Crank those bolts up tight and only screw the top down on the front of the cabinet. Let the back edge float.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    So now I'm curious about this. How does this work on an L-shaped cabinet top such as Jim is talking about? He's said he isn't mitering the corner. It's just one piece running past the other but both are rectangular.
    Dave, I'm assuming that Jim would change the joint to a miter and then use the splines for strength. If the point is to make it look 'dovetail-ish', dovetail splines would accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Dave, I'm assuming that Jim would change the joint to a miter and then use the splines for strength. If the point is to make it look 'dovetail-ish', dovetail splines would accomplish that.
    Sorry. I must be missing something. Jim was talking about joining two pieces as on the left using a sliding dovetail joint between them. Are you suggesting he miter the joint as on the right and use butterfly or bowtie keys?
    Screenshot - 10_25_2018 , 8_37_56 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 10-25-2018 at 9:47 PM.