Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Engraving Tempered Glass

Hey I have to be the noobee here only been doing it 6 years and as a hobbyist only
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

2. I got you all beat, I did my first engraving at 6 months old when I engraved my favorite spoon with my teeth so I would know if my Brother or sister took it. You guys are a bunch of rookies!

3. On a serious note though I just purchased a 100W laser and am considering engraving some tempered glass but the piece is a one time shot. Maybe I should try to acquire a spare piece to practice on first. I'm hearing low power setting so maybe I should just start with 10% and see what happens?

tempered glass - of course it is laser engravable, uv laser, or Co2, Co2 10.6um as an old technology and to get the frosty effect 9.3um, sometimes 9.2 um. Car Manufacturers tempered glass plants are using 9.3um for this, and 20W-30W marker is enough. Who goes with 100W on the tempered glass?
    Kind Regards.

The issue with tempered glass isn't whether it's engraveable or not, the question is whether or not it's going to explode during or after it's engraved. Seems from the answers above tempered glass is okay to laser etch, but me, I'm thinking that if I engrave the bottom glass shelf in my basement fridge, I'd best not expect it to hold up the weight of 60 cans of Pepsi like it does now
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by art olin View Post
    tempered glass - of course it is laser engravable, uv laser, or Co2, Co2 10.6um as an old technology and to get the frosty effect 9.3um, sometimes 9.2 um. Car Manufacturers tempered glass plants are using 9.3um for this, and 20W-30W marker is enough. Who goes with 100W on the tempered glass?
    Kind Regards.
    I seem to remember automotive glass being marked without the benefit of a laser back in the 40's and 50's.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I seem to remember automotive glass being marked without the benefit of a laser back in the 40's and 50's.
    That would not have been temper glass but laminated glass back then