Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

My Summer Project

I mill much of my own lumber. I air dry it and then do the final drying to 6 - 8% MC in a dehumidifiation kiln I built in my basement shop. All good, except after the wood is dry you need a place to store it. Having no other space my shop filled up with lumber to the point i could barely move. Something had to give. So after considering every alternative I could think of I decided to build a shed.

I settled on 14 x 18' with 8' walls. This drawing shows the walls being 10' tall, but they ended up at 8'.

I did all the framing myself, including making the trusses.

After I got all the sheathing on a friend shingled the roof for me. I was just too scared to do it myself. I did put up the roof sheathing myself, and alone, but I had a ledger board screwed to the bottom edge as a safety stop in case I slid.

House wrap, windows, vinyl siding and soffits, and trim work all followed.

Then I made simple racks with adjustable shelfs for storing my wood. There is plenty of room for more racks, as needed.

The last project was building the doors. I finished installing the first set yesterday.

I designed the shed to house my drier, too, but I haven't yet decided whether to install it or build a solar drier instead. I have all Winter to consider which option is best.

After I got all the excess wood out of my shop I was able to reconfigure the layout a little so that I now have two benches with clear space all around so that I can work on two projects at once. Such luxury I haven't had for 15 years. I still have some more reorganization to do, but my shop is a pleasure to work in again.

John

Wow! That looks great!

Awesome!! Love the wood rack. Curious to know if you abandoned the 10' walls because of aesthetics or another reason?

Very nice. You may need some rodent repellant screen underneath.

Congrats on the shop upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Awesome!! Love the wood rack. Curious to know if you abandoned the 10' walls because of aesthetics or another reason?
    The original design had 10' walls based on the advise of a friend who recommended I store wood vertically, and
    I actually built the first wall 10' high. Then I stepped back and looked at it and decided it was too high both asthetically and thinking about having to work 2 ft higher to set the trusses and sheath the roof. And I decided I didn't want to store wood vertically anyway, so that sealed the deal. Another lesson in follow your own instincts.

The racks are about the simplest and cheapest thing I could think of with adjustable shelves. The "shelves" are just 2 ft lengths of 3/4" black iron pipe or 1" EMT. I have some of the shelves filled with 10 - 12" wide lumber 8 - 10' long on edge and the pipes don't sag a bit. I like storing lumber on edge as it gives access to every board.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Very nice. You may need some rodent repellant screen underneath.

Congrats on the shop upgrade.
    Yes, that's still something I need to get done before Winter. I don't need any skunks or raccoons taking up residence.

John

That's a very nice looking shed and the storage system looks like it will provide good access. The contents of the storage system look pretty nice as well!

John, that's an excellent project result and they way you designed/built it provides for long-term flexibility for both you and any subsequent property owner! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Really nice!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nicely done John. Brilliant storage racks and I never thought of storing the wood vertically - I may have to modify my new rack to allow that. As you say, much easier access to all the wood. And the red door is a cool touch.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Nice work John and a very innovative shelf plan. I also have never seen wood stored on edge and like what I see. At one point in the mid-late 1980's, a friend and I built some small, inexpensive spec homes in Mid Tennessee and your photos brought back good memories. We stick framed the first roof, then built our own trusses for the rest of the homes. If you have a spot to do the truss layout, it is quick to build a truss when using a nail gun. As I recall, we used the "next house's" floor to build the trusses for the "current house". Popped some chalk lines and nailed down some stop/guide blocks to aid with truss member line up.
    David

David, I thought about building a traditional stick built ridge pole and rafter construction but quickly decided trusses were the better option, mostly because I could do it on the ground and minimize a lot of work up in the air. I built the trusses on the floor of the shed, much like you described. I snapped chalk lines and screwed blocks to the floor to hold all the parts in alignment. I used plywood gussets, glued and screwed on both sides of each joint. That was slow compared to using a nail gun, but sure makes a strong connection. But overall, the process is easy and I'd do it again if building a similar, simple structure.

John

Well done John! I wish I had room to build a storage shed for my wood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great job. Love the doors. Did you make those too?

Thanks Joe, and all the other positive comments, too. Yes, I made the doors. I've made a few exterior doors now so it wasn't a big deal. They are 36 x 84", four of them. I used some 6/4 white ash I had, knowing full well ash is not a great choice for exterior applications. The doors are simple stile/rail construction with 5/8" loose tenons, glued up with epoxy.

I pegged the joints in the top and bottom rails.

I used 1/2" MDO for the panels. They are captured by moldings on the outside, glued and tacked to the frame openings.

I hung the doors before installing the panels and lites. It was much easier to handle them that way.
    The panels were glued in with adhesive caulk and will have moldings around them on the inside - when I get to it.
    The left door is secured with a cane bolt on the inside, the right door by the latch.

John