Thread: Sign Making Templates Wanted...

Sign Making Templates Wanted...

I saw some sign making templates on the recent Rockler ad and that peaked my interest although I know nothing about how to. Are there different fonts available? Do I need a big $ initial outlay? Is the Rockler set good?

Rockler set is easy to use. Only two smaller fonts and one larger fonts IIRC. Plunger router is best to use and use a metal bushing guide instead of the plastic ones included. I have "modified" a couple of the PVC templates when the non plunge router was misaligned and the plastic guide got chewed up. There may be a better template system out there but the Rockler set snaps together and double side taped in place.

You know...you're missing a very nice tool buying opportunity here, Derek...a CNC for your shop will make very nice signs with no limitations on the character size...and a lot more. LOL Priorities, my friend!!!! (That said, the router templates you ask about should be easy to use)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You know...you're missing a very nice tool buying opportunity here, Derek...a CNC for your shop will make very nice signs with no limitations on the character size...and a lot more. LOL Priorities, my friend!!!! (That said, the router templates you ask about should be easy to use)
    CNC you say? Hmmmmmm...

"You will be assimilated..."
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just to go along with Jim's post, you can't easily make signs like these with a router template. They are 24 inches across and were cut from PVC sheet material. Its pretty easy with a CNC router.

Tiger Eyes.jpgGeorgia Tech.jpgA.jpg
    Click to enlarge.

{These pieces are one of a kind and not for sale as it would violate trademark/copyright laws.}

Oh yeah!! CNC all the way...!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have one of those sign templates, but you are limited by size. A neighbor wanted a sign for his office, but with bigger letters, so I just cut the letters out of 1/4" ply, then routered the letters out.