Thread: wine bottle stopper

wine bottle stopper

Now that I have a (pole) lathe, I've been trying to find reasons to turn stuff. I made a tiny little wine bottle stopper for my wife from a piece of cherry. It was a good skill building project for using the skew chisel. I also learned that it's easy to imagine a perfect sphere; much harder to turn a perfect sphere.

Blog Entries
    Hi Chris,

Your image didn't come though for me.

My sphere and chisel handle ends haven't turned out real great either. Most of my handle ends have required a bit of sanding or other attention after coming off the lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Please try again with the photo - I'd love to see what you made.

I found that my spheres on the lathe got better after I did about 100. I haven't used one on a bottle stopper but use them a lot on the ends of handles such as on "magic" wands.

For me, the spindle gouge is easier for beads and spheres than the skew, although I use the skew extensively. This video by Curtis Buchanan might be interesting (not a pole lathe, but hey.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT685pqZazk

I don't make a lot of stoppers but I made a dozen a few months ago for presents for an Italy trip. I like the Ruth Niles stainless steel hardware.

JKJ

Hmmmm... I can see the photo, but nobody else. Let me try this again and let me know if you can see it this time.
    winestopper.jpg

Blog Entries
    Shows up for me.

Looks nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks, I see the photo now too.

That must be the first stopper I've ever seen made on a pole lathe! You don't happen to live in East TN, do you? I've always wanted to try a pole lathe.

Maybe post this on the Turning Forum - I think lots of people would like to see it, some who don't read this section. (Hint, hint: a some photos of the pole lathe would be great, especially with you driving it!)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks, I see the photo now too.

That must be the first stopper I've ever seen made on a pole lathe! You don't happen to live in East TN, do you? I've always wanted to try a pole lathe.

Maybe post this on the Turning Forum - I think lots of people would like to see it, some who don't read this section. (Hint, hint: a some photos of the pole lathe would be great, especially with you driving it!)

JKJ
    I live in Maryland. I watched a bunch of videos about turning wine stoppers, but they were all power lathes. A pole lathe kind of complicated things a bit because you obviously have to have both ends between the centers at all times, and you need the excess wood for the rope to grab, and you can't drill the hole perfect on the lathe. That said, I've never used a power lathe in my life so I was unencumbered by any expectations or disapointments!

Got a great reaction from the wife, so I would have been a fool not to make another!
    winestopper2.jpg

Blog Entries
    You may find yourself having to make a lot more for your liquor cabinet, plus for friends & family.

Looks nice.

jtk

forgot link

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    Got a great reaction from the wife, so I would have been a fool not to make another!
    winestopper2.jpg
    Excellent! These, BTW, are the Niles stoppers I mentioned - not cheap but the quality is excellent. I've used her stainless hardware for over a decade and recently tried some of her newer designs and some in brass. I have extra, if you want to try one send me an email with your address and I'll put one in the mail. (Disclosure: I have no dog in this race, but Ruth is a good friend.) https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/prod...ttle-stoppers/

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-31-2018 at 1:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Excellent! These, BTW, are the Niles stoppers I mentioned - not cheap but the quality is excellent. I've used her stainless hardware for over a decade and recently tried some of her newer designs and some in brass. I have extra, if you want to try one send me an email with your address and I'll put one in the mail. (Disclosure: I have no dog in this race, but Ruth is a good friend.)

JKJ
    Thanks for the offer, but.... after watching a bunch of youtube videos of turners making bottle stoppers I did look into that style. The problem is that on a power lathe (of which I've never used before) you can easily drill a perfect hole right down the center. On a pole lathe? I'm not aware of any method to accomplish that. I can drill pretty dang straight with a brace and bit, but with an egg beater it's a little more difficult. I've made a couple more (working on outfitting the entire family for the holidays) and it's just difficult to drill perfectly straight. The nice thing is the silicone does provide a little wiggle room, but it would be very noticeable using a steel stopper bottom. I'm contemplating resorting to a power drill or the drill press for the hole for the threaded rod. But a pole lathe is as neanderthal as it gets and I don't want to contaminate the process with technology LOL.

As my experience with pole lathes is unfortunately zero, I can't come up with a good method. I have drilled fairly precise holes with hand-held drills by making a jig of sorts to hold the work and positioning a drill guide where I want the hole. The drill guide was simply a piece of hardwood (lignum vitae would be good) with a hole to fit the bit and hold it perpendicular to the work. I can envision holding the finished stopper with v-jaws on a vise similar to what pen makers use to position pen blanks to drill centered hole, or easier, make a recess in the bottom of the drill guide that just fits the size of the stopper base.

Another option might be to turn a short tenon on the base of the piece instead of a hole. Ruth has some stoppers that have a hole that the tenon could be glued into, such as:
    https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/product/ss-304-4/
    https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/product/ss-9004/

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but.... after watching a bunch of youtube videos of turners making bottle stoppers I did look into that style. The problem is that on a power lathe (of which I've never used before) you can easily drill a perfect hole right down the center. On a pole lathe? I'm not aware of any method to accomplish that. I can drill pretty dang straight with a brace and bit, but with an egg beater it's a little more difficult. I've made a couple more (working on outfitting the entire family for the holidays) and it's just difficult to drill perfectly straight. The nice thing is the silicone does provide a little wiggle room, but it would be very noticeable using a steel stopper bottom. I'm contemplating resorting to a power drill or the drill press for the hole for the threaded rod. But a pole lathe is as neanderthal as it gets and I don't want to contaminate the process with technology LOL.