Thread: X-Carve by Inventables

X-Carve by Inventables

Does anyone have experience with X-Carve by Inventables?

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve

It started out as a cosmetic fork of the Shapeoko 2 which I did the instructions for. (ob. discl. I was a long-time volunteer as well, and did freelance work for the Shapeoko project and am now working for Carbide 3D).

The designer of the Shapeoko 1 and 2, Edward R. Ford, left Inventables to join Carbide 3D as a partner where he made the Shapeoko 3, starting over from a clean slate, applying everything learned from all aspects of the SO1/2. Carbide 3D has a page which directly compares the two which you can find by searching for "shapeoko vs. x-carve"

Inventables has gradually improved the machine (Wide MakerSlide being the notable addition), and it works well when used within its limits --- lots of owners go on to rebuild the machines and significantly upgrade them (I added an Acme Z-axis to my SO1).
    Last edited by William Adams; 10-22-2018 at 4:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    Does anyone have experience with X-Carve by Inventables?

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve
    It all depends on what your machine to do. Not everyone needs or wants a $7000 plus machine. If you want to run 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week a better machine with larger motors, 2 or 3 Hp router or spindle motor and heavy aluminum or welded steel no flex construction. Just a hobby or part time income it will be fine. You might look for one used.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10