Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kickback when ripping at 45 Degrees on table saw.

Kickback when ripping at 45 Degrees on table saw.

I have been woodworking for a long time now, and I can figure out whats going on with this issue.

I am using a Sawstop PCS and get excellent results, but when I am ripping stock at 45 degrees, if the off-cut is small, it almost always gets thrown back pretty hard. I always try and stand to the right of the fence if I can, but is there something that I am doing to cause this?

Hi Bill, are the anti-kickback pawls pushing the piece against the blade? Or perhaps the guard?

Since it's a left tilt saw it shouldn't have that issue...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Bill, are the anti-kickback pawls pushing the piece against the blade? Or perhaps the guard?

Since it's a left tilt saw it shouldn't have that issue...........Regards, Rod.

I don't use a guard, just a riving knife.

Can't figure out whats going on, did not have this issue on my previous table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I have been woodworking for a long time now, and I can figure out whats going on with this issue.

I am using a Sawstop PCS and get excellent results, but when I am ripping stock at 45 degrees, if the off-cut is small, it almost always gets thrown back pretty hard. I always try and stand to the right of the fence if I can, but is there something that I am doing to cause this?

Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't.

We bevel cut all of our faceframes to paneled ends. We make that cut quite a bit.

Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't.

I can't tell you who done what to which to cause or prevent it. I'm off to the left of the saw as much as possible when doing things like that. If it comes winging out, then it doesn't matter. If I were to guess, it's just tension being released and a little bit of vacuum being create by the blade pulling it in.

I don't use a guard, just a riving knife.

Can't figure out whats going on, did not have this issue on my previous table saw

Try with the guard on and see if it still happens.

there is more tension release on a 45 degree than a 90 cut. Machining a 45 compared to ripping it has less tension release

Use a stand-off fence. The cut-off will fall harmlessly under the fence.
    Edit: this assumes you are just beveling the edge to 45* or whatever
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 10-22-2018 at 4:12 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    If you are trapping the cut off between the blade and the fence you will almost always get the piece flying back at you when you finish the cut. Try making your cut so the cut off piece is free to fall away from the blade by putting your work piece against the fence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Is it possible the rear of the fence is just a hair closer to the blade than the front and its only showing up with a very light cut off and its kicking back? Have you use a tool like this: LINK to ensure the fence is perfectly flat and parallel to the miter rail?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Not sure what a stand off fence is, sometimes I am beveling, sometimes taking more off depends on the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you are trapping the cut off between the blade and the fence you will almost always get the piece flying back at you when you finish the cut. Try making your cut so the cut off piece is free to fall away from the blade by putting your work piece against the fence.
    The Sawstop PCS is a left tilt saw, not really an issue with this design, that would be a problem on a right tilt saw, or if I moved the fence to the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Is it possible the rear of the fence is just a hair closer to the blade than the front and its only showing up with a very light cut off and its kicking back? Have you use a tool like this: LINK to ensure the fence is perfectly flat and parallel to the miter rail?
    I own that specific item, the fence is pretty much perfectly parallel to the miter slot, but even if it wasn't, why would that make the off cut kick back exclusively while ripping with a bevel cut?

If you are trapping the cut off between the blade and the fence you will almost always get the piece flying back at you when you finish the cut. Try by making your cut so the cut off piece is free to fall away from the blade by putting your work piece against the fence.
    Aren't all of those saws left tilt? I was just assuming the drop was on the left of the blade and out in the open.

Is the cut good or does it have a burning at the beginning or end of the cut. The top might need to be shimmed in the front or back.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Aren't all of those saws left tilt? I was just assuming the drop was on the left of the blade and out in the open.
    You are correct, I don't the he realized the type of saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Is the cut good or does it have a burning at the beginning or end of the cut. The top might need to be shimmed in the front or back.

the off cuts look pretty good, the "top" of what needs to be shimmed?

I am using a Sawstop PCS and get excellent results, but when I am ripping stock at 45 degrees, if the off-cut is small, it almost always gets thrown back pretty
    Check that your sawtable is not tilted to the right on an uneven floor. Vibration will cause the small off-cuts to "inch" towards the blade/fence if the sawtable is lower on the right hand side.

Use the blade guard with the anti-kickback pawl (which may catch the off-cuts)...not just the riving knife, whenever possible.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 10-22-2018 at 5:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Check that your sawtable is not tilted to the right on an uneven floor. Vibration will cause the small off-cuts to "inch" towards the blade/fence if the sawtable is lower on the right hand side.

Use the blade guard with the anti-kickback pawl (which may catch the off-cuts)...not just the riving knife, whenever possible.

Simon

I guess the anti kick back pawl will do something if the cutoff is a bit bigger than the bevel, but I don't think they will make contact on a simple bevel.