Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Way off topic question

Question Way off topic question

Due to a pretty bad health scare earlier this year I've lost quite a bit of weight. I need to buy basically a whole new wardrobe. My question concerns flannel shirts. I refuse to buy the cheap ones from the big box stores due to the collars and sleeves getting all wonky after washing. What have you had good luck with.

Thanks-- -Bob

Hopefully, the health scare is in the past. I bought several long sleeve Woolrich shirts from Academy last year that cost less ($25 or $30) than ones from the website and they wash nicely. Orvis is my favorite place for shirts but they are quite expensive. They will send out a $25 off $50 purchase coupon about once a month or so.

John, the health scare is over. Early July I went to the emergency room thinking I was having another heart attack. I've had 5 of them, turned out to be something they called gerd. What really scared me was my A1c numbers where sky high. Since that time I have cut out all the snacking and started eating right. As is so easy to do I was at the point where if my belly wasn't full I just didn't feel right. Well since that time I've gone from a 42" waist to a 38 and an extra large shirt down to a large. I tell my wife I need to stop this because it's costing me a small fortune in new cloths! I'm feeling pretty good.

Bob

+1 for Duluth Trading Co. shirts.

I've also had good luck with Cabela's house brand...but I haven't purchased any since they were bought out by Bass Pro Shops...whose clothing I dislike greatly.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My experience is that you will be back to 42 in no time; so buy cheap shirts.

I get insomnia every now and then, and lose 15 pounds in a couple weeks. Takes me a few months to gain it back; despite trying not to.

Don't think so Wade. That trip scared me pretty bad.

Bob

I have been very satisfied with both Lands End and LL Bean products.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Blog Entries

LL Bean

I like LL Bean, if you use their credit card, you getting free shipping , and if you need to return the shirt ,the shipping back is also free.
    Dennis

I bought most of my last ones from Aldis when they have them usually this time of the year

Blog Entries
    I love Duluth Trading products but they lose points for not being American made.

I'm a fan of Vermont Flannel. Made in the USA. The thing about USA made products is that they know they can't compete purely on price so they go for quality and service.

Duluth Trading. None better. But not inexpensive. While I like the idea of USA made, the industry has few options for that these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Kirkland brand shirts at Costco are 100% cotton, no-iron & are less than $25 CDN each. And the collars or sleaves do not get wonky. I've not been able to find better shirts at twice the price or more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warfield View Post
    Due to a pretty bad health scare earlier this year I've lost quite a bit of weight. I need to buy basically a whole new wardrobe. My question concerns flannel shirts. I refuse to buy the cheap ones from the big box stores due to the collars and sleeves getting all wonky after washing. What have you had good luck with.

Thanks-- -Bob
    Many of my favorite shirts have come from the Goodwill store. Let someone else test drive them for you.

Though recently my wife bought us some nice ones at Costco.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Duluth Trading. None better. But not inexpensive. While I like the idea of USA made, the industry has few options for that these days.
    https://www.vermontflannel.com/men/s...odies-jackets/