Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding crappy oak in Norther Virginia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    My guy sent some pictures of some wood he just cut so it's still green. I have zero experience evaluating green wood. The holes are nice. I was hoping for some knots and other stuff. But what I need is general character. What do you guys think?

I'm seeing a lot of nice straight grain. He says there's a lot of quartersawn character because of the way he milled it. It's all 1 1/8" rough. I need .960 give or take for the treads. For the landings it needs to be around 1 1/8". I could built this stuff up around the edges with some more oak and I don't think anyone would be the wiser. I will be rounding over the parts that show so my shim would be in that roundover. Shouldn't show if I do it right.

$4/sq foot dried.

Attachment 395457Attachment 395458Attachment 395459
    $4 seems high. That would be FAS pricing, and what you have there would be 1 common maybe. $2 would be more in line, but if you need it...

Also if you wanted 1" finished he should have cut it thicker. That should finish at 13/16 or so.

I picked this character grade up in Culpepper for $2.50 bd ft and for what i was using it for cut around the defects.
    20181025_173710.jpg
    20181025_173651.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-25-2018 at 5:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    You need to try 2 places: Hardwoods in the Rough in Manassas-they carry a wide variety of locally milled stuff with the standard variety of hardwood lumber. Talk to Don, he may have a source. Next there is a sawmill in Catharpin, they advise on Craigslist, they may have something close to what you need.

When I was in the USN we stopped in France , some how or another I ended up at a really small basement shop where a couple of guys where building furinture.
    The stuff they where building was pretty nice stuff, it also was highlighted with a lot of worm holes. I must have noticed the had a needle gun , like the blue shoes / ships company guys used to chip paint off the ship.

I broken French / English I got out of the two guys they made all of their own worm holes, or at least added to the ones that might have come in the stock.

A needle gun is a pneumatic tool with a bunch of metal 1/8” or smaller pins that are used to chip paint .

If worm holes are what you need the needle gun should be able to make them.