Thread: Festool Comments, Health and a Question

Festool Comments, Health and a Question

Well I never thought I would do a commercial for Festool and no, I haven't drunk the green Kool Aid , but the Domino was the one Festool I knew would be a game changer for my shop and it certainly has been so far.

I also purchased the CT36 dust extractor and this surprised me as much or more than the Domino.

Due to some laryngeal/voice issues I've been having, I've been much more focused on dust control and this dust extractor has really brought this to a different level. If the dust extraction efficiency of their sander and routers is like the Domino, I'll be purchasing them, too.

Although the dust extractor works with my other sanders (air and PC), I've been told the Festool sanders are very good. Spefically I'm looking at the Rotex 5".

So for those who have one, which model(s) do you have?

Hi Robert, I have a CT26, a Midi and a 5" Festool ROS (ETS 125) and the DTS 400 REQ detail sander.

Yes, the dust collection compared to my previous sanders resulted in me giving away my sanders.

In addition my hand doesn't go numb when sanding...............regards, Rod.

Like Rod above, I have the CT26 and the ETS 125.

I use the CT26 with sanding, my Festool Domino, track saw and also my Kreg pocket hole jig.

With the Festool sand papers, which seem to last very well, there's hardly a visible sign that you've been sanding, i.e. no visible dust.

I bought the ETS EC 150-3 and a CT 26 E (plus the boom arm) about 18 mo ago. Bought the ETS EC 150-5 shortly thereafter. Use the 150-5 by far and away the most and if I had to have only one that would be the one. Thought long and hard about getting the Rotex 125 and, unless it's changed, one of the appeals was it would accept a 150mm head. The final deciding factor, for me, was the Rotex is definitely a two handed sander. The ETS sanders can be used one handed, especially with the boom arm to support the vac hose and cord.

Probably the most telling is I haven't used either of my 5" ROS since I bought the ETS. I don't think I've picked up my belt sander since either. YMMV.

The boom arm is a very nice feature. I hadn't quite got round to justifying the cost of it and I wasn't quite sure where i'd store it. My CT26 lives under the right table of my SawStop when not in use.

I groom my two small dogs, and so bought a grooming table and arm.

The arm just clamps onto any table, so I put it on my table saw outfield table and groom my dogs on that.

But then a light bulb went on and I realized that the grooming arm also works great as a boom arm for the vacuum hose for the CT26 while sanding. I use a couple of pieces of double sided velcro to hold the vacuum hose to the grooming arm.

Just the arm ($55) https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Pig-Gr...20&ref=sr_1_26
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 10-22-2018 at 9:57 AM.

I'm also in the CT-26 and 5" Rotex club.

If you find the Domino and vacuum impressive, you will be blown away by the Rotex.

Blog Entries
    I have a pretty full complement: ets125, rotex 125 and 90, rts, and rs2 along with a ct-26. Dust collection is excellent.

Mike

I recently got their new cyclone separator and it works great even separating sanding dust.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

CT 36 here and as far as sanders go I currently have the ETS EC 150/3 and RTS 400 EQ. Both have been nothing short of awesome as are all my Festool tools. Never had a need for the power of a Rotex and also find them too awkward to work with for finish sanding, so for me my ETS EC and RTS are where its at! Ive spent a lot of money on dust collection throughout my shop and it all works amazingly well so Ive never felt it was money wasted.

Something to note/consider: The ETS EC 125/3 ROS can use the 6" (150mm) pads of the ETS EC 150/3 or /5, BUT the ETS EC 150/3 or /5 can NOT use the 125mm pads from the ETS EC 125/3. So, in short, if you get the 5" ETS EC you can use both 5" and 6" pads and discs. You just have to buy one of the 6" (150mm) pads for it.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 10-22-2018 at 1:44 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Keep in mind the Domino is going to be about as efficient as it’s going to get. Just like with a biscuit joiner, there really isn’t anywhere for the chips to go but through the port. Their sanders will be less efficient than the Domino just because of their geometry, but probably still better than the vast majority of sanders out there.

The design of the Festool sanders is very much pointed at dust extraction, both for the obvious health reasons, but also to help the abrasives last a lot longer. The center hole design combined with the generous hole pattern really delivers, IMHO. The lower vibration has also be extremely helpful to me...that was actually the original reason I bought my sanders.

Do consider the 6"/150mm sanders and unless you have a real need for the more aggressive rotary mode of the Rotex, stick with the ROS. Rotex is a "two-handed tool" for the most part and more cumbersome to use for "regular" sanding, in my opinion. The 5" might be better in that respect (I have not used one) but the larger Rotex is a beast, whether it's the current version or the older one like I have. I prefer to be able to use only one hand to, um...handle...the sander so I have the other hand available for controlling the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FYI, if you're having a hard time wrapping your head around the various different Festool sander options (deciding on Rotex vs ETS, etc), I found this document from Jerry Work to be incredibly helpful (although it's a little dated, now):
    http://thedovetailjoint.squarespace....%20reduced.pdf

So, which Festool product am I supposed to use for cutting my dog's fur? (just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    So, which Festool product am I supposed to use for cutting my dog's fur? (just kidding)
    One of these attached to a CT should work, you can paint it green and cream if you like.

l8os0u1cz86z.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.