Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Oct 2018

Greetings,
    The rain has stopped, clouds are clearing and the temps are cooler. Now if I can just get the day job to slow down, I can get a bit of shop time in.
    Oncall this past week and still working as I write this. Not much to write on this week since I haven't done much of anything except for work at the day job. With that in mind, I'll stop here and just get back to work.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Not much in the way of woodworking.
    Wife's away visiting grandchildren overseas so I've been cleaning like crazy to make up for the lack of extra hands - I mean the 20 yo is stuck in his Xbox most of the time and the 11 yo helps when it suits.
    Put the Harley away for the winter. Still have a months insurance but the medics won't let me ride until the spring.
    Brought the heavier planes into the house for the winter, I'll get them all in before the winter rains hit.
    Went into the hospital Friday for a HoLIP, to reduce the enlarged prostate, got out Saturday and I feel great. Doc told me far superior to green light laser, so who am I to argue?
    I will return to butchering wood in a few weeks.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

After a really hot and humid summer finally got to brew some beer did 7 batches of 5 gallons nice to get back into a routine. need to get to the shop and tidy so I can get to work.

It was a quieter week for me...some shop cleanup, doing a few minor woodworking things for Professor Dr. SWMBO to prepare her honeybee colonies for the winter, some design work for an anticipated project that I want to move onto the CNC for cutting, mowing the lawn, etc. I have some marketing things to do this week and more design work which may also get me to some prototypes for things, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cold, a bit of blowing snow and bushing replacement for a 44KV transformer.
    Bushings.jpg

Rod, is that an old GE? It looks like a new ABB bushing. I've done quite a few, mostly on 34kv 2500 kva unit subs. It's nuts how many different variations they had!
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    Rod, is that an old GE? It looks like a new ABB bushing. I've done quite a few, mostly on 34kv 2500 kva unit subs. It's nuts how many different variations they had!
    Stan
    Hi Stan, it's a 1MVA Pioneer, the new bushings are made by PCORE..........Regards, Rod.

This past week, I did some shop cleaning, milled some red oak for the end tables I have started and did some sharpening. The sharpening paid off when I used my mortiser to make some mortises in the red oak. A little more mortising to do this afternoon after I return from the gym. Then it's on to sheet goods.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My fiancée returned from Minneapolis on Friday, so MY project list got put on hold...

Her father and I put up a clothesline pole. While we were doing that, the grill got blown of the patio. Unfortunately, it was next to the retaining wall and ended up taking a tumble down about 5 feet. Tried lighting it last night, but could not get anything higher than a medium flame. I will have to take it apart and make sure everything is attached/lined up.

I also sanded a dresser that she is going to repaint. Then we took advantage of the 11% sale at Menard's and picked up some carsiding for a wall. So I get to install that on Thursday.

Well, I did sneak a bit of wood working in. I milled up a couple more pieces of oak for my project.

10. I went to Seattle for 36 hours for an all day conference on Applied Pharmacogenomics. Related, no. Accomplishment, yes. =)

I made 230+ louver blades for Plantation shutters for 11 windows.

I cut 5/4 rough sawn Basswood into 36" to 40" lengths, based upon the length of the rough sawn Basswood.

Next was to put a clean jointed surface on one face and edge of each cut piece of Basswood. My new A3-31 work flawlessly for this and my dust collector managed to keep up (for the most part).

Four 39 gallon trash bags of sawdust later, I ripped the cut pieces into 3 1/2" widths.

Now I had around 120 pieces of 3ft length Basswood 1 1/8" thick.

At this point it was time to head to the bandsaw and resaw the 1 1/8" thick pieces into strips just over 1/2" thick. The Carter Magfennc II worked great for this eliminating all bandsaw drift, even through I nearly have my saw tuned to minimal if no drift.

In preparation for running all these pieces through my Shop Fox W1812 to create the louver blades, I decided to run all the pieces through the A3-31 planer to get rid of all saw marks and reduce all the pieces down to a consistent thickness. The A3-31, again, was a joy to use. As over half the pieces were an inconsistent thickness that had only been bandsaw'd on one side, adjusting the A3-31 to compensate took around two or three passes until I got each piece down to my target thickness.

Then it was time to cut the pieces to produce the Louvers. Each Louver required two passes on the Shop Fox. This required all the pieces to be put through the Shop Fox to cut the first side. Four more 39 gallon bags of chippings later, it was time to swap out the Louver bed, on the Shop Fox, for the sacrificial piece that supports the previously cut Louver surface. After two or three test pieces to align the second bed, it was time to pop on the Bluetooth head phone and spend 4 hours planing the second surface.