Thread: Delta 22-580 Planer dust collection

Delta 22-580 Planer dust collection

Just picked up one of these on CL, really happy with it so far. Does anybody have one of these? I'm planning to make a chip shroud and did some poking around the machine, the steel plate that covers the cutters and forms the top of the chip exit is a mystery, there's a bent piece of sheet metal that seems designed to impede the flow of chips, wondering if it's designed this way or this one is bent. Appreciate any help.IMG_1747.jpgIMG_1748.jpg
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

I have the 22-580 and I like it a lot. I don’t have access to my machine right now so I can’t take the hood off to check until probably later in the week. The plastic dust hood for it is still available on eBay, Delta model #50-446. It is effective, though it can clog when planing wet and “fluffy” chips, though that is due to the narrow geometry of the planer chute.

I had a 22-580 and purchased the plastic dust hood/collector. Well worth the bucks.

I have the 22-580 and the dust hood. The hood does a good job. I had some trouble with it clogging on me when planning sugar pine not with anything else I have planned. I have planed red oak, white oak, cherry, and maple with no clogging.

The dust hood is worth the investment.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.