Thread: Best oil based wood filler that will take stain and match?

Best oil based wood filler that will take stain and match?

I goofed and drilled a couple of holes (7/64 pilots) in the wrong place. I need to fill said holes with an oil based filler that will take oil based stain to match the stain that will be applied to the wood.

Best suggestions?

I just found a thread on wood fillers. It's was suggested to use timber to fill the void. I believe wood filler (not putty) has timber in it.

If I choose to create some sawdust as a filler, what glue would I mix it with that will take stain well?

The filler, of any variety, will NOT take stain to match surrounding wood. The way to achieve good results is to apply the stain, and the first coat of top coat, so that the wood has achieved its final coloration. Then choose a filler and mix pigment into it so that it matches the stained and finished wood. The filler could be shellac based sticks, or other fillers as long as you can mix in pigment or stain. You would be advised to fill a few test holes in scraps of the same wood so you can see the color as the filler cures. The final top coats will get the sheen even across the surface.

Use wood. Period. I'll pile on and also say that "nothing" will take the stain and look the same as the wood...except wood. And for best results, the wood you put in the defect should be the same species and be a close match to the grain direction as the original wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also be prepared to get creative with a pencil brush. Timber is not one colour nor does the grain match perfectly. Creative artwork colours in the lines and swirls etc. Cheers

Time for some inlays. I celebrate my mistakes.

Blog Entries
    I've mixed oil based stain with small bits of solvent based wood filler and get a pretty close match for color.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Interesting, and helpful advice. I have plenty of ultra fine fibers and sawdust to use. However, what should be the adhesive? Should I mix the timber/wood with wood filler, wood glue, epoxy, snot, something else?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    Interesting, and helpful advice. I have plenty of ultra fine fibers and sawdust to use. However, what should be the adhesive? Should I mix the timber/wood with wood filler, wood glue, epoxy, snot, something else?
    I use regular wood glue.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Use wood. Period. I'll pile on and also say that "nothing" will take the stain and look the same as the wood...except wood. And for best results, the wood you put in the defect should be the same species and be a close match to the grain direction as the original wood.
    I agree. Small plugs of the same species is the best solution. Done well, matching color and grain, plugged holes that small can almost disappear.

Thank you Lee.