Thread: Estate Sale Find

Blog Entries

Estate Sale Find

Having some time to kill while my wife was at an appointment got me to wonder into one of the local estate merchants building.

Not much there but there was a Millers Falls looking miter box and saw. The man told me prices were negotiable since they wanted to clear the floor for some new stuff coming in on Monday.

The miter box had an old piece of tape it with $22.50 on it. There was a green sticker on the saw handle marked $5. When the man was called over to see if they were priced together or what, he told me the sticker on the saw handle was for them together.

1124 Miter Box & Saw.jpg

Twist my arm why don't ya?

It is an okay but limited miter box, Millers Falls 1124, may be from as late as the 1980s

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-21-2018 at 12:20 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice find Jim!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-21-2018 at 7:43 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice find at a steal of a price. I do love me my M-F miter box. I've also got one badged "Ingersoll Rand," I guess from the period that they owned the company.

I always like it when they ask, "Do you still want it?" while you're still dumbfounded at the low price.

Nice find, Jim.

Reminds me of an estate sale where it was everything that you can fit in a bag for a buck. My daughters came up with party napkins with licensed cartoon figures on them. I put a small Disston back saw in it. With 12 items in the bag I always called it my 8 cent saw. But from the rust on it you'd say I was cheated. Only reason I bring it up here is that the back saw has the same medallion and handle as the saw in the picture. Dunno about the miter box but 1980's is about right for the saw.

-Tom

You couldn't get for four bucks?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    You couldn't get for four bucks?
    With my surprise at the price all that came to mind is if he would do it for $5 even and eat the tax, he did. Saved me about 40¢.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

Ya did good!

Stew

Blog Entries
    Anyone have any idea what use a 9º miter has? The only thing my searching found is a 20 sided polygon. Are those at all common?

jtk

Used to be, those markings on the quadrant were not as degrees......they were to show how many cuts for each type of angled joint. Such as for the Hexagons around the window the carpenter would be installing. So...IF you needed a nine sided 'box", you'd set the saw at the 9 indent....and all parts would be cut to that setting. Takes the "math" out of some cuts...just need to know how many sides were needed, set the box for that number..and get to work.

Does that saw have two sets of "angle" numbers? They later added a degree quadrant....

Had a Stanley No. 358.....scale on top of the quadrant was for the number of cuts....a second scale was along the outside edge of the quadrant, and showed the degrees.
    IMAG0003.jpg
    12 cuts...24 cuts...NOT degrees..
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Degrees were incised along the edge, indents were under those.
    IMAG0004.jpg
    cleaned number settings.jpg
    Clear as mud?

Blog Entries
    Used to be, those markings on the quadrant were not as degrees......they were to show how many cuts for each type of angled joint.

[edit]

Does that saw have two sets of "angle" numbers? They later added a degree quadrant....
    Yes, some of my boxes are marked with degrees and some use the number of sides of various polygons marking system.

However this box has no markings. So far my internet search has only found information indicating the model #1124 never left the factory with any markings for setting the miter angle. It is likely the "Langdon" miter box with the least of the features. The second and third types do not carry the name "Langdon" on their stickers.

BTW, went in this morning and there wasn't much in the "new stuff coming in section."

jtk