Thread: Any Experience with GoHZ VFD's?I

Blog Entries

Any Experience with GoHZ VFD's?I

I need a 5hp VFD to create 3 phase power for an edge sander I'm buying. GoHZ has a unit that is about $300 (http://www.gohz.com/5hp-vfd) and that's about $700 less than what I could get one from Wolf Automation. So, any issues with the GoHZ unit? If so, what else should I consider?

Mike

Huanyang. $181 on amazon.

+1 Huanyang.

These no-name VFDs almost all use a "transistor pack" sourced from a reputable 3rd party, so you're pretty safe just choosing the cheapest one you can find.

Powtran P19130A 004G1. Last year $170 plus about $75 shipping. Same one the Aussies use to speed up their Clear Vue cyclones

http://powtran.com/en-us/product/show-2196.aspx

Just check that the unit you're buying has an electrical approval suitable for your location.

Some drives do not have an approval.................Rod.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rod. How do you check?

There's a long thread on this site where someone attempted to get the Huanyang 4kw vid to work with their motor. After much fiddling about, they finally gave up. It doesn't inspire confidence in the technical support from the suppler: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....arameters-Help!

I'm not particularly well educated when it comes to electricity and wiring although I've wired my own 220 circuits and understand the difference between watts and volt amperes. So, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a supplier like GoHZ who appear to have technical support staff -- at least they provided information for me on the current draw on the input side of the VFD, the derating for being at 5400 feet of elevation, and the matching of the VFD with my motor.

On that sizing issue, the sander is a two speed sander so I presume that the motor is two speed as well. The full load amps of the motor is 14.8. A 4kw VFD produces about 17-17.5A, depending on the model and manufacturer, and the input circuit load of the VFD is about 29A. I have a 30A 220 circuit currently. If I was to use a 4kw VFD, the circuit would have to be upgraded to a 45A circuit and breaker. I cannot imagine, in my use of the edge sander, that I will ever load the motor to that level. Would it be ok to undersize the VFD and, as a result, underpower the sander?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Thanks Rod. How do you check?

There's a long thread on this site where someone attempted to get the Huanyang 4kw vid to work with their motor. After much fiddling about, they finally gave up. It doesn't inspire confidence in the technical support from the suppler: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....arameters-Help!

I'm not particularly well educated when it comes to electricity and wiring although I've wired my own 220 circuits and understand the difference between watts and volt amperes. So, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a supplier like GoHZ who appear to have technical support staff -- at least they provided information for me on the current draw on the input side of the VFD, the derating for being at 5400 feet of elevation, and the matching of the VFD with my motor.

On that sizing issue, the sander is a two speed sander so I presume that the motor is two speed as well. The full load amps of the motor is 14.8. A 4kw VFD produces about 17-17.5A, depending on the model and manufacturer, and the input circuit load of the VFD is about 29A. I have a 30A 220 circuit currently. If I was to use a 4kw VFD, the circuit would have to be upgraded to a 45A circuit and breaker. I cannot imagine, in my use of the edge sander, that I will ever load the motor to that level. Would it be ok to undersize the VFD and, as a result, underpower the sander?

Mike
    Hi Mike, Jack Forsberg is a member here and started retailing VFDs a couple of years ago and has sold around 800 units in the states. By all accounts their customer service is excellent. He or Matt will walk you through the setup and when you talk to either of them you're talking to a real person, on this continent who actually use the machines themselves. They will not be the cheapest but will also be better than the cheapest.

B

Blog Entries
    I've tried to get in touch with Jack via both PM and email from this site. His website seems to be down, showing only a blank page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    I've tried to get in touch with Jack via both PM and email from this site. His website seems to be down, showing only a blank page.
    Try jack at jforsberg dot ca
    That's worked for me recently.....
    B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 10-21-2018 at 4:04 PM.

Edit that to ...rg dot ca so the poor guy doesn't get a bunch of spam from the bots collection email addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Edit that to ...rg dot ca so the poor guy doesn't get a bunch of spam from the bots collection email addresses.
    Done! Thanks for the tip.

PM sent ::::::::
    jack
    English machines

The drive will have an acceptance mark from an organization such as UL in the US, or CSA or CUL or several approval agency markings.

You can also ask the vendor as to what approval it has..............Regards, Rod.

14. Let me add a +1 to this recommendation. I bought one of Jack's VFD's several months ago, and have it installed on a lathe. The support was excellent, and the unit has been running without a hitch ever since.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased a VFD from Jack. For those that find this thread and are looking for a VFD, take a look at his videos at the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HP_...9k-Xb439MygYwt