Thread: Building a chest of drawers for new granddaughter, any ideas to avoid finger pinches?

Building a chest of drawers for new granddaughter, any ideas to avoid finger pinches?

Am considering leaving a gap between drawer fronts, so tiny fingers don't get pinched, any ideas?

How about soft close drawer slides. It wouldn't eliminate it but it might ease it.

I'd avoid self-closing slides -- including soft-close ones. Drawers that pull themselves in are ones that could pinch.

Other than that, I think you don't need to make huge gaps between the drawers. If your granddaughter is pushing the drawer closed, she's most likely just to push on the drawer front, so no pinches there. If she has her fingers on the top edge of the drawer front while she's pushing the drawer closed, they're just hit the front of the drawer above or drawer below, and again get no pinches.

You can't engineer out every possibility. Really, what do you think might happen? Once they're dressing themselves they can work a drawer safely. Make sure it straps to the wall (this is the important one) and that the drawers don't slide out. Nice radiused corners at any height that might ever be at eye level. We just want to avoid maiming and death.

Flush fit drawer with no lips.
    Bill D

You are trying to eliminate a learning opportunity.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    You are trying to eliminate a learning opportunity.
    Exactly my thought. It's a wood drawer, not a planer.

There are two places to get pinched, top and bottom.

My solution is for the bottom. Glue the bottoms into a rabbit instead or a dado. That will make the bottom flush with the front.