Thread: Tool Storage Systems

Tool Storage Systems

Who do you think has the best tool storage solution? I've got a Heinz 57 of tool brands and I'd like to start investing in one so storage and parts all work better together. The top brands seem to all have great tools, but what other things separate them?

Festool is not in the price options at this point, but I'd like to get a domino some day.

Hi Matt.
    I wasn't 100% clear. You're looking for a mobile storage solution, right? Something like Systainers but not that much $?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Stacking, space saving I think would be most important. Those products do have a mobile/contractor emphasis I know. I work in my garage so storage is important.

I have something over 120 of these waterproof boxes now, all in their own cubby. I can get to whatever I need without unstacking. It's not only great to have everything labeled, and accessable, but also keep everything you need for any tool system right together. They are sold under Stanley, Dewalt, and Bostich brand names, but all the same, and come in two different sizes. I tested the first one with a pressure washer, and it didn't leak.

I don't need to see everything, but do want to eliminate any rusting worries. Boxes that can use some help to make sure, like all the plane, and chisel boxes, get desiccant canisters inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that looks like a good system. Do you live in a humid area?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Carver View Post
    Stacking, space saving I think would be most important. Those products do have a mobile/contractor emphasis I know. I work in my garage so storage is important.
    The answer here is "the one you make". Tom's is a great example. No commercial solution is going to meet your specific needs the way one you design and build will. When I build such a thing I lay out the things that are to go in it or create "blocks" in SketchUp that meet their dimensions and then build the storage to contain those blocks and make them easily accessible/returnable.

In this example the "blocks" represent storage bins I use for accessories and the cylinder represents my tallest motorized router.

Tool storage planning example.JPG

You do not have to make a "block" for every tool, just the tallest, widest or most challenging group will usually do it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-20-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Carver View Post
    that looks like a good system. Do you live in a humid area?
    A lot of the time it's really muggy. Also, being on the lee side of a large lake during the prevailing winds doesn't help any.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat a fan of the Tanos Systainer system and would likely buy additional storage that way so it matches my Festool tool stable including stacking together for mobility. They are readily available from Lee Valley and other sources, too. But yes, they are not the least expensive, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was tempted by Systainers, esp. when I bought a Festool CT Midi, but then I put an Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy on it, so that synergy went away.

Deciding to try something similar on a budget I bought a Husky 22" Rolling Connect system and a matching Parts Organizer --- I've been sorting tools into it by function and it seems to work pretty well --- the problem of course is that many hand tools are too large to fit (currently those are either on pegboard or in an old, traditional chest I lucked into).

I have a lot of the systems: Festool/Tanos, Makita interlocking (which is a clone of the old style Festool/Tanos), Bosch L-Boxx, DeWalt Tough System and DeWalt T-stak (and the Craftsman version Versastak). They’re good for transporting to a worksite, but for everyday shop use the rule of stacking boxes states the tool you need is always at the bottom of the stack.

DeWalt T-stak (and Craftsman/Stanley/Bostitch) probably offers the best combination of affordability and selection. The Tough System allows you to store your bigger/longer tools but doesn’t offer you the mobility option of going the “narrow way” if you have a tight shop, whereas the other systems have all-swivel wheel carts for better mobility.

The ridgid system is pretty versatile, affordable, waterproof. Also you can add a rolling cart and about three times a year they will sell there three stack set for a 100 bucks which ends up getting you a free box. I have 2 rollers, 2 toolbox style boxes and about 8 systainer type boxes I have been using for about 2 years. I'm even now starting to take my tools that come in there own bags and cases and putting them in the ridgid boxes because having one size that's uniform and holds everything you need is pretty handy. Plus I'm getting ready to start building out my new job trailer and it's going to make it easier to build the storage shelving in when all the boxes are the same size. It has really changed how I work, for instance, I have a box with my hammer drill, all of my bits and my most commonly used tapcons in it. No need to hunt around for anything, I can send anyone to the trailer to grab the hammer drill box and know I have everything I need. My grinder kit has all of my cut off wheels, discs, brushes and the wrenches in there so I know I have everything I need. Heck I even put gloves and safety glasses in the boxes that house tools where that's something you want with that tool. I get hassled by people that don't know any better about how much I have spent on tool storage boxes and bags the last couple years but I would never go back from this setup.

I have a few of the larger husky boxes that have wheels on them and they are really meeting a price point with them and probably wouldn't count on them if I had to use them everyday but I have made one into a demo tote and only need to use it maybe once a month or so. Same thing with plumbing parts and electrical parts. I know if I have those totes with me I'm going to have 99 percent of what I need to do most jobs.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 10-22-2018 at 10:25 PM.