Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round over cast iron?

Round over cast iron?

Best and neatest way to round over cast iron? My scmi Jointer is a long bed, but I often do long stock and when I tip it down at the end I get a mark on the wood from the square edge. I want to round it over but an fussy about looks so not into the grinder so much. Could do it with a file, but I am lazy. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Best and neatest way to round over cast iron? My scmi Jointer is a long bed, but I often do long stock and when I tip it down at the end I get a mark on the wood from the square edge. I want to round it over but an fussy about looks so not into the grinder so much. Could do it with a file, but I am lazy. Ideas?
    What about to use a grinder but not with so aggressive disks? I would look to use with it a sanding disk 80 or 100 grit...

Don't know how big a radius you want to put on it, but a file should take it down pretty fast, and easier to get even and straight than a grinder, unless you fashion some jig...

I did the same thing to relieve the hard corners of my cast iron tablesaw wings where they join the (chamfered) front of the main table, and it went a lot quicker with a MB file than I'd expected.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 10-20-2018 at 9:41 AM.

I ease edges on pretty well all of my cast iron tops on machines with a file. I use a fine one ,all you need is a slight rounding . Mike

I'd use a file, because it's controllable. But if you want a larger radius or if you just don't WANT to file it, what about trying an ROS? Should be a little more controllable than a grinder (slower), though you'll still likely have some "clean up" with a file or emory paper.

If you think about it, how about posting a few pics after you're done and describe what you decided to do? It would be good info to have.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Larry,
    I remember a post where Mark Hennebury used a router to cut a hole in a cast iron Maka. Seems like a router with a small round over bit might work. I accidentally put a small chamfer on a cast shaper sliding table once with a cutter too close.
    Dont want to talk about that but it cut like butter

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Larry,
    I remember a post where Mark Hennebury used a router to cut a hole in a cast iron Maka. Seems like a router with a small round over bit might work. I accidentally put a small chamfer on a cast shaper sliding table once with a cutter too close.
    Dont want to talk about that but it cut like butter
    I guess you'd need a carbide bit for that Joe? Any idea of what speed to use? Small, light passes? (Sorry. I don't have much metalworking knowledge.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi, Cast iron cuts pretty easy with a router. just set the router to the slowest speed and take small cuts, you will get the feel of it. Carbide tipped bit of course, and go slow. and goggles.

Larry you would have been done with a file in the time it took to create this thread. Sandpaper and a sanding block is a messier second way to do it.

Please be sure to post the video when you rout that cast iron

get some proper support, if your board can pass then you have room for a temp support. In the beginning I had to joint 8" wide 2" hard maple on an 8" general jointer, that is when you learn your jointer is just a toy. those boards could almost tip that machine over. To not have support at that point was just plain stupid. I use rollers now or an adjustable stand with Melmine

All my machine edges are hand filed. The factory didnt have time on most of them and they are crude and not enough. Find hand filing that material simple and easy and enjoyable. Do have a friend who has machined lots of aluminum with routers and see what Mark says making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    ? Link does not work.

Blog Entries
    I think you've caught the drift. Cast iron is much more malleable than one might think. A file will cut easily and be controllable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Use a file. You could have it done in not much more time than it takes to post & read this thread.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney